1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Owner & Accounts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dawter, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dawter

Dawter Thread Starter

About 4 days ago I did a fresh install of Windows XP. I didn't reformat.
    Somewhere it asked me for a name and I put in "Nunya."
    In the C: drive "Documents and Settings" I have:
    All Users
    All Users.Windows
    Default User
    Default User.Windows
    Owner
    Owner.Nunya
    Janet

I'm getting mixed up as to what user is the default. I'm the only person who uses this computer and I'm wanting to know if I can safely get rid and how to get rid of all unwanted "User" names. So that there is just one User...One Administrator, etc...me, Janet.

Thanks for any help you can give me.:)

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    These ".Windows" and ".Numya" are account from your old install. When you installed XP again, it saved these old accounts and settings.
    You should be able to delete these accounts using the Control Panel. I would check these account folders to see if there are any personal files that you need to keep.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Actually I think that the .Windows and .Nunya folders will be from the new install. If a Profile folder already exists, I don't think Windows XP renames the old one, it tacks on .<Windows folder> or the .<PC name> to the profile folder name.
    Easy enough to verify first.

Click Start | Run, type regedit, press Enter
    Navigate to here:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    Check the value of the AllUsersProfile and DefaultUserProfile items.
    For each folder under ProfileList that starts with S-1-5, check the ProfileImagePath item. That will show the profile folder being used by that account.
    Example:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\TheOutcaste

Folders that are not listed are the ones not being used.

There are two accounts under Documents and Settings you didn't list:
    LocalService
    NetworkService

I suspect this setting is still checked in Folder Options | View:
    Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    See below to check that setting.

There will probably be duplicates for these with either the .Windows or .Nunya extension tacked on to the name.

For the User accounts, I would create a Temp user account, log into it, then copy the user profiles to a backup folder:
    Owner
    Owner.Nunya
    Janet

Then delete the ones that you don't want. If you accidentally delete the wrong one, you can log into the temp account again and restore everything from the copy.

Keep the copies for a few days to make sure they don't contain files that you need, then you can delete them and the temp account you created.

To change View Settings to show hidden and system files:
    In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View tab
    (In Vista/Win 7 press the ALT key to display the Menu bar)
    Check the following:

• Display the contents of system folders (not present in Win2K/Vista)
    • Show hidden files and folders
    Uncheck the following:

• Hide extensions for known file types (WinXP/Vista)
    • Hide file extensions for known file types (Win2K)
    • Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

4. Dawter

Dawter Thread Starter

Yes, that's correct- the Nunya is from the new install.
    Thanks for your help and I will get to it and let you know the result
    :)

It's an honor to have an MVP help me. Keep up the good work!(y)

5. Dawter

Dawter Thread Starter

The LocalService and NetworkService- I didn't mention because I didn't know it was important. So I'll begin again,
    They are in this order:

All Users
    All Users.Windows
    Default User
    Default User.Windows
    LocalService
    LocalService.NT AUTHORITY
    NetworkService
    NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY
    Owner
    Owner.Nunya
    Janet

What will I do with Local & Network Service?
    Thank you

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I forgot those two get .NT AUTHORITY added to them. The current folders will be listed in the Registry in the ProfileList key same as the User Accounts as you've probably seen already:
    LocalService is in the ProfileImagePath item in S-1-5-19
    NetworkService is in the S-1-5-20 key.
    You can delete the folders that are not shown.

7. Dawter

Dawter Thread Starter

LOL, Now I'm confused...How can I delete a folder that is not shown?
    LOL, I'm sorry but I have the giggles on this one.
    Ahem...
    Okay, I'm doing fine. Here what I have in the run>regedit...
    5-1-5-18 value is:systemprofile
    5-1-5-19 value is: localservice.NT AUTHORITY
    5-1-5-20 value is: NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY
    5-1-5-21 value is: Owner.Nunya
    5-1-5-21 value is: Nemo (the temporary profile)

When I go into My Computer>right click>properties>advanced>user profiles I have 2: Nunya/Nemo and Nunya/Owner
    I can delete Nemo if I want but cannot delete Nunya.
    Oh dear...
    One more question: Is it normal (or how it's gonna be) that I have to set up Firefox and all of my XP personal tweaks when this is all said and done? That's ok, I don't mind. I just want to have 1 profile.
    How many folders and what will they be named in Documents and Settings when I am done?
    Sorry to be such a nit wit.

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Assuming that the values for the AllUsersProfile and DefaultUserProfile items in the registry under ProfileList are these:
    AllUsersProfile=All Users.Windows
    DefaultUserProfile=Default User.Windows

You'll end up with just these folders under Documents and Settings:
    All Users.Windows
    Default User.Windows
    LocalService.NT AUTHORITY
    NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY
    Owner.Nunya

You can copy/delete the other folders in My Computer or Windows Explorer (right click My Computer, click Explore) same as you would copy/delete any folder. The old ones won't appear in the User Profile Wizard.

I would think the old Owner and Janet folders would probably be the only ones that might have files you would want to recover. If so, create a new folder: C:\OldProfiles
    Drag the Owner and Janet folders into this new folder, and you can go through them at your convenience.

You will have to setup the user account again. You could copy all the settings from the old account, but that may bring along any problems that existed in the old account, including whatever the reason was that prompted the re-install in the first place.

The Firefox profile (or just pieces of it like the bookmarks) can be recovered though.
    The old one will be here:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[B][COLOR=Blue]<username>[/COLOR][/B]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[B][COLOR=DarkRed]xxxxxxxx[/COLOR][/B].default

Where <username> will be either Owner or Janet, and the xxxxxxxx is a random string of characters. If you move it from Documents and Settings that will change obviously.

See this article on Firefox profiles for info on what to copy, especially the Recovering important data from an old profile section.

9. Dawter

Dawter Thread Starter

In Documents and settings it won't let me delete Owner.Nunya.
    I don't really care what I lose. I can re-install programs, clean it up, restore my Firefox profile, etc later as I keep backups on an external drive and flash drive.
    I just want one owner, one profile.
    Thank you

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

That probably means you are logged into that account.
    The Owner.Nunya is a current account. You should have two, the Nemo temp account you created, and the Owner account that was created when you did the re-install. It may appear with a different name on the Welcome screen other than Owner.
    Windows can refer to an account by two different names, the UserName which never changes, and the Display Name, which you can change. The Display Name is what is displayed on the Welcome screen and on the Start Menu, and starts out the same as the User Name in most cases, but many OEM installs create an Owner account, then prompt you to chose a Display Name for the account during the install or first run setup.

Click Start, type cmd, press Enter
    Type Set User
    USERNAME is the real UserName for that account
    USERPROFILE is the Profile folder the account uses, the same as the ProfileImagePath value in the Registry.

If you want to completely start over, log into the Nemo account. Then in Control Panel | User Accounts, remove all accounts but the Nemo account and Administrator if it's shows.
    That should delete the Owner.Nunya folder. If not, you should be able to manually delete it at this point.

Now create a new Admin account with the name you want; Owner, Dawter, GrandPoobah, whatever. It must not be the same as any of the folders shown under Documents and Settings and must not be the same as an existing account.
    The first time you log into that account, it will create a new profile folder with the same name as the user name. From that account, you can delete the Nemo account.

11. Dawter

Dawter Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll work on it tomorrow:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice