1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

P-90, W-3.1 - 3rd HD & 8X SB CD-ROM not detected!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by K.Wayne, Apr 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. K.Wayne

K.Wayne Thread Starter

Previous to problem, all hardware was operating as it should. NEC P-90, 3-HD's of 1.5gb or less, and SB 8X CD-ROM running on W-98SE. As a backup PC, decided to houseclean, and "Full Formated" the C: and D: drive, leaving some files on E: to be copied later. How life changes! I recall there was a problem back when, you upgraded/installed hard drives greater than 1.5mb with P-90's?
    Currently it is DOS 6.1, W-3.1. In the Setup, AutoConfigured is set for all. C: (Western Digital 1223mb),D:(Conner 1219mb). E: (the problem child - Western Digital Caviar 2600). I did not re-format E:!
    At power up I get"Secondary IDE Controller Resource Conflict" in DOS window. Setup shows E: Not Installed, F: Not Installed. (F: being the SB 8xCD-Rom)
    I would like to resolve this so that I can install W-98SE from CD as before. I have checked all wires for connection, but as I say it worked before! I installed SBIDE20.exe driver.Any thoughts?

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi K.Wayne
    Not sure I understand your problem. Are all devices showing up correctly in bios? Have you tryed autodetecting them? If so why dont you just format your C drive from a windows 98 boot disk (format c: /s) and load windows from it? Why trouble shoot a windows 3.1 problem if you are not going to use it?

P.S you can get a windows bootdisk at bootdisk.com

[Edited by Lurker1 on 04-06-2001 at 01:54 PM]

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

If win98 was on there before the drive was probably formatted with FAT32, which DOS 6 can't see.

And for your CDROM to work you need to install a driver in your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT - you don't need these in Win98, but in DOS you do.

4. K.Wayne

K.Wayne Thread Starter

How do I install the S/Blaster CD-Rom driver in DOS autoexec.bat and config.sys?

All the devices are in the BIOS, but E: and F: are "Not Detected", even though Auto Detect is selected. I am going to follow up on the W98 boot disk as Lurker suggests.

Yes, the E:(hard drive is formatted with FAT32. Hadn't thought about that.
    My plan of attack sounds like it should be like this;
    1. Get W98 boot disk and format the C: D: drives
    2. GEt the driver for CD-Rom and install in autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Thoughts!......

5. LarryCore

LarryCore

Boot from a Win98 startup disk and choose CD support. This will load your CDROM drivers for you. It won't put them on the C drive, but they will load up each time you boot from that disk. Once you install Windows you don't need to worry about it.

You can look at the CONFIG and AUTOEXEC on the disk if you want to see how it is done. It's not too hard, really.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/41376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice