1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

P.C. does a lot of grinding noises at startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iwant2no, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iwant2no

iwant2no Thread Starter

Hi all , Is there any way to find out what is going on within my PC when I login to windows ME . There is a lot of low grinding noises while the little hour glass symbol is keeping company with my cursor.

2. iwant2no

iwant2no Thread Starter

3. smeegle

smeegle

Iwant2no, if you don't get an answer soon, click on the red triangle in the right corner and request that a moderator move your thread to Hardware or Windows ME.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome, I've moved you to the hardware forums.

You have a hard drive that is on it's last leg. If you can backup anything important, do so now.

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Yes, it sounds like the harddrive is about to die a quick death. Backup all important data to CDR or DVD or something ASAP and then order a new HD.

TIP: I believe Compusa is selling an 80Gb HD for $29 this week after rebates. :)

6. winbob

winbob

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about which component is groaning in complaint until the case was opened, and a careful ear was placed close by!

A cheaper problem might be a bad fan?

7. ctuna

ctuna

A good trick to locate a noise, is to use a long bladed screwdriver and hold the handle in your ear, and place the tip of the blade on the item you are checking.
    Be careful that you don't hit the mother board or other electronic components.

8. Raijin Z

Raijin Z

It could just be that there's a wire jammed in a fan... I've seen one slow down a CPU fan to the point where the system would heat-crash almost immediately after getting to the first Win logo.... but it's not terribly likely.

9. winbob

winbob

Ctuna,

So you want to get tricky, eh :D

A safer way us ole shade tree mechanics use is a short section of hose or tubing. Stick one end in your ear and the other end where the sun don't shine....I mean near the component you wish to check :p

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/338615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice