1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

P2B-VE motherboard/need some help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KMFDMputer, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KMFDMputer

KMFDMputer Thread Starter

I'm rebuilding an Asus P2B-VE mobo for a HP Pavilion and I'm not really sure where a couple connections go. See, it was partially taken apart by someone else, and I'm not too sure about where the video card cable goes (and not referring to a fan cable) and also a cable (not the one going to the power supply) for the CD-ROM drive.

It's a mini-ATX case ( I hate those) so it's very difficult to see everything, even though the power supply isn't in it at this time. Help would be much appreciated. :)

A diagram outlining said connections would be great. I did some looking online, but I only came up with dead links. Sometimes the Internet hates me.

2. norton850

norton850

Have you tried ASUS. You have a Slot1 MB. There are a lot of variations on the P2B, but you might get some ideas from what's there.
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    If that doesn't help, more information from you might help us. Like where the cable is presently attached etc.

3. KMFDMputer

That site wasn't of any help. Thanks though. :) (for some reason nothing would ever come up on the site for me, even though I used the proper slider menus and such, plus there's not even a listing for the P2B-VE)

Anyway, only the data cables are still attached to the motherboard(besides the CPU and the heatsink; et al). The person who attempted to do what I'm doing disconnected the video card wire, the CD-ROM wire and removed the video and ethernet cards.

I'm not referring to any of the data cables or the power cables or any of their connections.

To properly maneuver inside the computer I removed the CD-ROM, the power supply and disconnected the data cable connections from the hard drive, the CD-ROM, and the floppy drive. I made sure to mark the cables, so I'll know what goes where later.

I'm just stuck as to where the video card wire goes (it doesn't have its own fan) and the CD-ROM wire. I already know where its data cable and power connections go and where they are. So what I really need is some kind of diagram outlining all the proper connections.

Thanks for you time. :)

4. norton850

norton850

The ASUS site can sometimes be a pain, but at least for me it seems to be working OK tonight. ASUS makes MBs for many of the brand PCs, so sometimes that final letter or two may not match what's listed at their site. So I though you could take a look at some of the P2b manuals like the VM and see if they give you any hints.

Do you have an onboard video device or a separate video card? Still not sure what video cable you are looking at. Usually there is just the connector at the back of the MB that hooks up with the monitor cable. I have a Slot1 machine in the basement, but don't remember any extra wires. As far as the CD wire, could it be the cable from the back of the CD drive to the audio card (or the similar connector on the MB if there is onboard sound)?

5. KMFDMputer

Yeah, that site sucks a. It's as though they intend to not be of any help.

The video card is seperate. I'm thinking that the audio is internal, but I'm not sure. Once I get the computer up and running I'll sure find out! ;)

To the CD-ROM question: Process of elimination. I'm not talking about the wire going to the power supply or the data cable coming from the MB. I just need to know where the wire on the left side of the CD-ROM goes. I see four possibilites on the MB, but I'd hate to pick the wrong connection and cause a real problem.

As to the video wire(I guess "cable" is misleading) I'm talking about, it's coming from a connection attached to the card itself, but I don't know where it connects to on the MB.

Thanks again.

I'll try to find a picture of the wires.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If one of the 4 possibilities is marked close to it CD In that is where that cable goes. On more modern mother boards those connections are still available but are not needed. It may not be needed on yours either.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice