1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

P2P Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jatbee, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jatbee

jatbee Thread Starter

I have setup a small peer-to-peer network in our office, in which there are only 4 machines. 3 of the computers appear to be fine, and can see the other 3 machines on the network, and can access their shared folders. However, one machine always prompts for a password when any of the other computers tries to access it even though I didnt set one up.

i then found that the PC was running an ASP.NET user account, and after searching several technical sites, I determined that this was the cause of the password prompt. The sites all said that it would be okay to delete this acount, which is what I did, and so I expected that the problem would be fixed.

However, after rebooting all the machines and trying to access the computer again, I was confused to find that it was still asking for a password. Another thing that confused me was that this computer could access the other machines shared folders, whilst not letting the others see its own.

My boss tells me that the machine in question he brought with him from a previous job, and that it was configured to another networks settings (clearly a much more complex one than the simple network I have set up). He says that he cannot get in touch with the person who configured his machine, to try and obtain the password.

Does anyone here know what the cause of my problem is, or suggest any additional steps I can take? If anyone requires additional information I will be happy to post

Jatbee

2. onsite

onsite

you have to put the account you are trying to connect with, on the computer you are trying to connect to. In other words for a P2P you have to have all the accounts on all machines. + turn OFF all firewalls till you get it going.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the problem PC Windows XP Pro with Advanced File Sharing (not Simple File Sharing)? If so, you need to have a user account/password that is identical on all machines. It doesn't have to be the account that you use.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the account you setup on the machine that's requiring a password has to be the same name/password as the connecting machine. You don't have to use the account on the machine with the shared resources, but it is the one in use on the connecting machine.

5. jatbee

jatbee Thread Starter

So, if I understand you correctly (which is unlikely :|), on the machine requiring a password I have to set up 3 other accounts that have the same login details as the machines trying to connect with it. I don't have to use these accounts, they just have to be there...is that right?

The machine requesting passwords is indeed XP Pro, and Advanced file sharing is on...do you suggest trying turning it off? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks for the replies,

Jatbee

6. JohnWill

You are correct, just create the accounts and all should be fine. FWIW, I don't use simple file sharing here, but to enable it, it's hidden under the Windows Explorer folder options.

Attached Files:

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Johnwill, what software did you use to make that pic?

8. JohnWill

I use SnagIt, one of my MVP free-bee's. :D

9. jatbee

jatbee Thread Starter

Thanks to all who replied, I will be in the office monday so will post to update you then :)

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I don't remember seeing that MVP freebie. :(

11. JohnWill

You gotta' be vigilant. :D You must not cruise the MVP newsgroups. :D

12. jatbee

jatbee Thread Starter

Okay guys, I set up accounts for everyone on the "main" computer, and it worked! I have set up a Z:/drive that everyone can access. the point of this is so we can synchronise our "Act!" database. My boss also said that he would like to be able to log in at home and synchronise there...does this call for a VPN? Or is there a simpler solution?

13. JohnWill

If you want external access to shared resources, that would be a VPN. :)

14. jatbee

jatbee Thread Starter

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I finally looked up MVP; I learn something new every day! :)

Before, I just thought it meant Microsoft: Many Varied Problems. :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice