1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

p2p Network Setup in small business(Doctor's office)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by darren84, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darren84

darren84 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    I've been tasked with setting up a network in a Doctor's office. I have thought about client-server setups as well as p2p. Being it's only going to be 5 or so computers I figured p2p would be the best option. Does anyone with experience in this have guidelines or recommendations I should follow in order to follow HIPPA standards as far as physical security etc goes?
    Next, I already built some basic desktops that are more than suitable for the business. Any recommendations on OS's (They are currently loaded with XP Professional. My main concern is the server for electronic health records. That's the key in security here and I want to make sure it's done correctly. I have already have a SonicWALL sitting around for wireless N. This is my first true network setup and I'd like to make the transition as smooth as possible for myself and the business. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Darren,

You really need to tread lightly with this and not think this is something you can just learn on the fly. There are serious legal consequences which can hold the Doctor, his practice, and you personally liable if the guidelines under HIPAA are not followed to the letter. You need to find someone with experience in dealing with setting up IT systems under HIPAA guidelines. I personally wouldn't tackle this job myself if I didn't have anyone guiding me through what needs to be done. And this is with past experience setting up and working with classifed government networks.

3. darren84

darren84 Thread Starter

Sounds good I'll either pass the ball on or see if I can find someone local with knowledge looking for a project. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice