1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

P2P not working in dorm room...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ian80, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Ok, I've asked this on P2P forums and I get -- "look it up, its been asked many times". QWhen I do, the terms used and the instructions given are over my head.

I just moved into a university residence. We are given free "high speed" access (yeah right!) and are all connected to the same server. Now, from what I've read, it seems that they have blocked a port...or something. Basically, when I open Kazaa Lite, if tells me that I'm connecting, but I never actually connect (and therefore can't search/download). I do not understand any of this. So, yeah, I know there is a way to fix it, but I don't know (or understand) how.

2. scottosan

scottosan

depending on the ports blocked, and the amount of management of the firewall, you may not be able to use PTP.

3. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

hmmm...ok, well let's just say that the there is low management of the fire wall and very litttle ports are blocked...what could I do to try to get around it?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Go to another school? :rolleyes: They block the ports to avoid abuse just as you're contemplating, and I don't think this site should be a party to circumventing those protections. (n)

5. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

I don't see what the problem is...or what they are protecting. I'm in Canada...so there is no threat of legal action to the university. Also, as far as bandwidth use. i use it mostly the download the odd song -- I'm not download four movies at a time or anything like that.

6. scottosan

scottosan

Exactly, you not seeing the big picture that Network Engineers have to deal with. There is bandwith issues, virus issues, illegal activies, and security issues that can get way out of hand and P2P programs are one of the main pipes that cause these issues.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have to agree, just because you don't see what the problem is, that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. :)

8. kellnz

kellnz

There is probally nothing you can do anyway
    Its not a configuration setting on your end, its on the server.
    You would have to ask the network admin to unblock ports and i doubt that they would for the reasons listed in previous posts

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice