1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

P2P vs Server Based

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JKingsnorth, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth Thread Starter

Alright some of you here know I am a Firefighter and I am also our IT director. Well my Chief made me the IT guy, I told him what I was going to do, I changed over from P2P to Windows Server 2003. Now he got mad at someone for locking THEIR computer in THEIR office (not his the Chief's office) and now he wants NO PASSWORDS on any computer. Not to mention I brought my OWN server from my house and spent my money buying the parts, software, and monitor for it.

I need help with gathering all the Pro's and Con's of having a Server Based vs P2P Network.......

Please help me from not wanting to quit my job.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What's to say? The thing that springs to mind is: No good deed goes unpunished.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

I would suggest you not spend the time on comparing ptp vs client server though you can google just the phrase and get plenty of hits.

Spend the time educating the Chief as to security benefits and accountabiltiy of using secure accounts and passwords.

I would also suggest a policy that when a user is leaving they logout and not lock the pc. This would allow for the chief to then logon.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you make the chief a Doman administrator he can unlock the PC. But do you really want that headache.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice