P3 733 wont boot os

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ghaldos

I just bought a p3 766 mhz motherboard/ram/cpu I installed everything and now i'm having a little problem it wont boot an os i tried 2 harddrives in this computer plus a different one and they work fine but in the p3 766 ithe hdd stops responding at a certain point (the end of the grey loading bar in win xp) I also tried win 98 on it as well. There was 3 ram sticks in it so I tried removing all of them and putting them in 1 at a time same thing. the cpu said it was running at 120oC for about 2-3 mins but after i turned the comp off put some thermal paste on the cpu it went down to 44oC I am using a basic systm hdd/floppy and the motherboard. If anyone has any ideas please reply

Video card? Try clearing the cmos, and check that the system will turn on before adding the harddrive, just eliminate motherboard/cpu problems first.

So, are you saying that the original assembly did NOT include any Thermal Transfer Material between the Heatsink and the CPU chip :eek: !!!!

That would explain the initial problem...self preservation shutdown!!! A good thing.

Now the question is whether or not there was any permanent damage???

Will setup even Boot from a Floppy? If it does can you perform any basic functions like format of a disk?

ghaldos

it actually never shut down just im not able to start windows i can get into the bios and the post screen comes up and I did try clearing the cmos. I can and did format the harddrive and I tried to install win98 but this error comes up before it goes into the setup screen I forget what it was now something about dos though . By the way not sure if it makes a difference I used the win98 install cd to format and never tried floppy as I have none here. My first thought was ram but I tried 3 different pieces which came with the board and I wouldn't think that all 3 of them are faulty...

ghaldos

it says something like dos could not initilized or something like that with 4 strings of numbers and letters but that's only with setup. but with loading up an os well win xp it freezes after the first load up bar is complete and said error something.vxd, something.dll could not start etc. but trying the hdd in another computer fine. I have seen ram problems that happened like this but as I said I tried 3 different ones of which i'm not sure are working or not but I imagine one should work fine. Is there anything that acts like that other than the ram?

Wasn't ntdlr was it? If not, was it hal.dll is missing? If you try to install a hdd with xp on it, in a totally different computer, it surely will baulk. Try starting up with xp cd and see if you can do a repair install. Also, .vxd is driver related, usually video. But not always.

G'day ghaldos, before you get too involved, obtain "memtest86" on a bootable floppy or bootable CD and run it. This could be a memory problem. You can download it off the net and meke the disks yourself. It is free!
Accept no errors whatsoever. It has six tests that take about ten minutes to run from memory.
Cheers, qldit.

ghaldos

I just ran the memtest on a cd it took 2 hours to complete and no errors

ghaldos

I really don't think it has anything to do with the harddrive itself I tried win xp and win98 and I tried installing both win 98 and xp which gave me errors I cannot go into safe mode with either os it stops at mup.sys or whatever the last file is

What are the make and model of the hard drives. Seems this is an older PC that may not support drives of larger capacities.

ghaldos

Western digital 60gb
Fujitsu Hdd 2.3gb
one of the 2 should work fine with the type of computer. I just went over all the jumpers and all of them were in the default position so the cpu isn't overclocked. I have no idea what's wrong everything seems to be fine...

DOes the BIOS recognize and configure the drives? I also forgot to ask the make and model of the motherboard. This could very well also be a chipset problem since the OS will install but not load. You may also want to try different cables. Which cables are you using thte 40 pin or the 80 pin?

ghaldos

Shuttle AE22 and yes the bios does recognize and configure the drive and it actually starts to boot windows but stops, and the os wouldn't install. I tried 3 sets of IDE cables 1 80 and 2 40. I just tried a different PSU cause I'm running out of ideas is it possible the cpu could be damaged but still do that? I checked the cpu and on the surface it looks fine. it uses intel i815 chipset.

starts to boot windows but stops
This would imply that the OS has been installed. Generally when the OS loading screen is up with the progress bar it is loading drivers. If you are trying to install via CD-ROM there may be something wrong with it or your installation CD as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online