Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

P3 850Mhz SECC2 core voltage 1.5?!!!

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  HnKG3 
#1 ·
Had some video card issues here recently (Lockups in games) and trouble shot it out to either the PSU, 200W or the video card Radeon 32DDR. Well I thought I had it set when I replaced the card with a Rage 128 I had lying around and no more problems. In checking out the PSU all readings are nominal +/-5%. 11.97V 5.10V 3.30V back probing the mainboard 10 pin power connector. Hmonitor agrees with these values, but it shows a cpu core voltage of 1.51V to 1.55V steady. I have researched this and came up with the P3 850Mhz SECC2 100Mhz FSB spec to be 1.65V. Is this a high limit spec or is it what I should be seeing? I wonder this because IF my core voltage is really low, the Radeon card draws more power than the Rage. Pointing once again at the PSU. I do not have a Spare ATX PSU only old wierd server stuff. Also I was able to get the Radeon to run flawlessly solid on AGP1X. AGP2X just causes lockups. AGP2x = Higher power requirements? :confused: The Rage does AGP2X flawlessly. I just need a second opinion because my first intuition is the PSU if the 1.5Volt core is an oddity. This is a Retail box P3 no over clocking ever. Been cooking with it for three years rock solid stable. I have un-plugged everything except the mainboard and the hard drive to see if that helped and i got the same results. Any ideas?
SPEC:
98SE
Intel SE440BX2-C
P3 850 SECC2 100 FSB
Newton power 200W PSU
120GB WD1200 HD
SB Live Pci
Promise ATA66 SCSI Pci
Ati Radeon 32 DDR or Rage 128 16Mb
Mitsumi DVD
& thats all...

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you checked in the BIOS to see if you can adjust the CPU voltage? The may also be a jumper of switch on the motherboard that adjusts voltage. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the powersupply for a low CPU voltage if the readings from the powersupply are within range. But again, the powersupply can easily account for crashes and other problems. An incorrect CPU voltage can also be caused by a motherboard that doesn't fully support a certain CPU.

SECC2 PIII's had core voltages of 1.6, 1.65, 1.7V with yours being 1.7V I think.

#4 ·
Thanks For the response!
Bios is a Phoenix. Rock solid but no clockin' stuff. Bois properly identifies it as a pIII 850 100fsb. No voltage jumpers. My board is actually a Tabor C Coppermine Mp440bx Rev. 3. It is buit by Jabil for Intel on contract from Gateway. I am at the highest Bois for a Gateway board @ P21. It is a newer and higher version than the end of line bios from Intel for the SE440BX2. My mainboard revision number is -305 so the P3 850 is within spec for this board as it uses the same revision (AA) numbering system as the Seattle2. Gateway complicates this way beyond reason as they will say anything from 450 p2 all the way up to the obviously wrong P3 733 is supported by this board. This system has always been solid except for the recent change with it locking up in games. It has been running SETI 24-7-365 for three years and has never had a problem till now. I should recieve the new Video card Tuesday. ATI Radeon 9200 128 DDR retail. It will take a little more juice than the 32DDR did and I will see if it will run @ 2X AGP like the little rage 128 does. Maybe hmonitor is just complete wrong with the 1.5-1.55v reading. It is freeware.... :rolleyes:
EDIT!!
Just recieved new information. This is not a 1.65V Coppermine core. It is a 1.5V Tualatin core. That tells me that it is most definately the Vid card. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.