P4 1.5g or AMD THUNDERBIRD 1.4g

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maximaaa

I'm building a new system primarily for backing up my dvds and
playstation games. If all other components (video & sound cards)
were the same, which one would I be better off using?
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

It depends if money is an issue. AMD's are cheaper, but I've heard people say that they are alot more delicate. You need to be more careful heating wise. I've never done anything special to cool mine however. I've also heard that p4's will last longer. I guess it all depends on how well you take care of your stuff. There is a video that's floating around the net that shows what happens when you take the heatsink and fan off of a CPU while playing Quake3. I think the Pentium 4 either slowed down to nothing or froze, where as the AMD actually started smoking. With AMD's you get a fast processor for less money though. I'm trying to give you my knowledge to let you make the decision on your own. Hope this helps.

You really can't go on the advice of others, we can only help you make an informed decision. You have to think about what you need from the cpu and how much you are willing to spend. A few months ago a kid was essentially asking the same question and it turned into a huge brawl and we had intel users in a bar fight with amd users. Lets not go there this time.

I personally like the P4 better, but I go for quality and long time use. If you like to upgrade often, go for the amd. The biggest dissadvantage of the amd is I fell they don't last nearly as long as the P4, but if you don't need that long to use it, don't buy the time. Amd is easier to overclock, but much harder to cool. If your cooling fails on the amd, you are probably toast, but there are many ways to avoid that happening. Your bios can automatically shut down if you are too hot or your fan stops. I have heard that a amd 1.4 is actually as fast the in P4 1.5, but is what I have heard. If you want good quality, go intel. If you want speed and are going to upgrade a lot, go amd. The ball's in your court now...:D

I have an amd and have never had a problem with it, also have an older machine with an amd 300 overclocked to 350, without adding extra cooling and it has been running great for the past year. Personally I perfer amd's, they're cheaper and faster and I've yet to have a problem, not that I've had a problem with the intels, but the price performance issue is what decides it for me. Also you can check out the cpu guide at http://www.tomshardware.com for benchmark comparisons and reviews. If you are considering buying just the chip or anyother hardware, a great place to find cheap prices is http://www.pricewatch.com

I must say that I'm also partial to AMD. I have an old 266Mhz (3 years) that's still running great and a newer 1.3 Ghz running with no probs whatsoever. The argument that AMD's are more prone to overheating is true but you'll be fine if you take the extra precautions and jump up the cooling with another fan or two. I look at it this way:
Some things require more maintenance than others (cars, animals, silverware, whatever) - that's just the way it is. Even though Pentiums seem to do well with 'get it and forget it', that's no excuse not to take some responsibility for your purchase. Get an AMD, get an additional good quality fan or two and you should be set.

Just my opinion.
(that was kind of a lame explanation above but couldn't think of any better way to say it!)

maximaaa

Angel, it makes sense what you said to spend a few more $ if I really want the AMD. The thing is, I'm not really sure yet which one I'm getting. right now, leaning more towards the P4.

well as long as you are leaning toward intel, I must say P4 too... it is quite nice, but so is AMD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts