1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

P4,2.3ghz,128mb --VS---Celeron,633mhz,28mb--I NEED EXPECT ADVICE SOON

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i bought a new computer: P4 2.3ghz 128mb(ram) 40gb(hd) XP
    a preserio. has lots of typical software that came with the computer.

OLD computer ?: Celeron 633mhz 256mb(ram) 7.5(hd) WIN98
    a Kmart bluelight,5 years old,heavily used. just bare bones software;antivirus,firewall,couple of other software items.

Both are using the same DSL connection,same confiquations.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My OLD computer is FASTER in many ways.

My new computer takes about 5-7 minutes to boot up completely to windows(OLD computer about 3 minutes)

My new computer takes about 15-20 seconds to open a desktop icon or a program(OLD computer takes less time)

My new computer once surfing is fast(dsl)but a tad slower than my OLD computer when surfing.

My new computer has frozen a couple of times and programs freeze and to bring up "alt-ctrl-delete" takes all day.

Other people who have used both computers have mentioned the OLD computer is faster.

---------------QUESTIONS---------------------------
    could it be my new computer just needs more RAM or do i have a lemon computer? I HAVE 4 MORE DAYS TO RETUN THE COMPUTER FOR A REFUND,THEN IM STUCK WITH IT.

THANKS

2. hewee

hewee

I would think you need lots of ram with XP. I think you need 512 MB for XP. Then you need memory for the other programs like AV, firewall etc, etc, etc.

3. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i knew 128mb is very low ram for nowaday computers, do you think that is it? with 512mb will the new computer be noticably faster than my old one?

i need to know if i got a lemon soon. like cars,can some computers be a lemon?

4. *ne0n*

*ne0n*

Pending on how old your motherboard is, just plop a 128 from your old computer into the new one, and you'll automatically notice the increase.

5. dzones

dzones

OK to start yes 128mb on xp should be a crime. Only the major pc guys do that crap.
    add some as soon as you can. at least 256mb. i would suggest adding 512 to what you have. it may seem excessive but the price difference between the 256 and 512 is very little. can't really have too much ram anyway. Besides it is pretty inexpensive right now.
    Buying a new system that has lockup problems right from the start is bad news. I would be getting rid of that in a hurry.

6. hewee

hewee

Well your can try the added memory to see if it helps but then if you have a lemon you have to see all your troubles happen before it is to late to return the PC.
    If it is a lemon the added memory may help so you don't have trouble as much but it will not fix a lemon.

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Name brand PCs, including HP(paq), Gateway, Emachines, Sony includes loads of CRAP-WARE... HP is not as bad some some others... but it would help if you uninstalled all that junk (internet sevices AOL, MSN, shopping, "deals", Wild Tangent, etc etc.

Besides the CRAP-WARE on your computer, which would slow down ANY computer - your installed memory is sub-standard, even by Windows98 standards. Imagine your OLD machine with 32mb... Hpaq does sell models with 512mb off the shelf that are quite fast. Nice of the Salesman to WARN you that 128mb is horrible for a machine. Either spend more money on memory or take the PC back and exchange for a higher end model.

Also, DISABLING lots of WindowsXP garbage will help (under Services) refer to www.tweakxp.com for a good listing of things your can disable.

My AMD XP2000 (1.7ghz) WinXP system boots up in less than 30seconds. I has pretty much all the aps and games I need installed, yet I looked in the ADD-REMOVE area, it would still be half the items listed in your computer.

Faster but slower? Internet connection is generally better with better TCP/IP... but your overall performance is low due to junkware and lack of memory.

Also check out your INTERNET settings. your cache (click on "settings" on the -Temporary Internet Files-) by default is set for Standard Microsoft stupidity... about 5~10gb of cache!! Empty this out and reset this to about 3~5mb. Bigger the cache, the slower your web gets. PS: If you click on DELETE FILES, it never deletes them all... typical junk. So if you had 900mb of cache (useless data you have to defrag and suck up space) and clicked on DELETE FILES, it may shrink to 800mb.

All the above reasons...

TAKE IT BACK... besides being slow... it maybe defective too. Where did you get it from? Its nice of them to offer you the ability to return it... oh.. standard 14day deal :)

This unit (available at BestBuy and everywhere) is pretty good from HP: http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/...etailed_specs&browse_link=true&#defaultAnchor

Includes 7-1 reader card reader, firewire, better audio and higher end video and motherboard. But will have the exact same software installed you have now. But I've set this up for a client and IT IS FAST (once I ripped out the software... well most of it) its boot time was under a minute.

8. dzones

dzones

Computers like all other industries are simply put..
    ya get what ya pay for..
    when you buy the lowest end computers like HP, Compaq, e-machines, etc... you get some conveyor belt substandard machine that was never even turned on before it left the warehouse, often filled with cheap parts.
    There is definately one thing i love about those three brands. they have made me a lot of money on repairs in my repair shop. Sad for the people who bought them though.
    If you are not much of a pc owner- meaning you only casually use your pc then go ahead and get the wal-mart special and you will probably do well with it.
    Otherwise do yourself a favor and look into some of the more custom designed pc's out there. there are many good companies offering better systems for little more money. you will be so much better off in the long run.
    ...If I only had a nickel for every time I heard someone in my shop say...I will never buy one of "those" again...or- I learned my lesson the hard way.

Please do not take this as a flame to anyone or their opinions of certain machine models/brands. These are just my opinions based on 17 years of building and repairing pc's.'

9. hewee

hewee

Flaming?

No way because what you said is so true.
    I had a IBM Aptiva 2159 and it was very nice but it had lots of troubles also and upgrading it is so very hard to do and then you can only do so much.
    I had the pc I used now made at a small shop in town and have been very happy with it. Could of done better money wise if I build it but I wanted at the time for it all to be cover under one warranty. So it cost me about $175.00 more then if I put it all together. But everything is covered for 3 years on parts and a lifetime on labor.
    Lots of small mom and pop places to get PC's around here and we have fry's and compusa to get all the parts. Plus online if your want to shop online.

Only software I got on my PC was 98SE and the soundblaster so no junk.

10. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i didn't have time to read all the replies in this thread, so ihope im not repeating something someone already said...

unless you use your computer for really intense gaming, do you really need a p4 2.3? i have an amd 1000mhz athlon, 128mbram, 41gig hard drive, and i have never felt the need to upgrade or buy a new system. adding more ram will definately help, but if you really want to know what you're getting, and what kind of performance it will give you, don't buy a preassembled system. it's not as hard as you'd think to build a pc, and you could research and select your own pieces according to what you want. plus, you won't have to worry about all that "crapware" mentioned above, which will absolutely slooooowwww your startup down. get that stuff out of the startup list soon, before you forget what it is and whether or not it's important...

11. compilerxp

compilerxp

With Windows XP, todays "entry" level machines are 2ghz class systems with 256mb... the really bad are the 128mb version. But that is how DELL & HP get their "400~500" box out the door.

Hmmm... I wonder if with the bad experince, they expect the customer to comeback and order/buy a $1000 PC next time?

XP does have high demans, but its more on the graphic sub-system with its "pretty" interface than anything else. Worse yet, is Intels onboard "Extreme 3D Video" this is of the poorest quality of on-board video. Very slow and blurry... :(

12. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

(i'm reading everyone's replies. bought it from staples and had a $500 budget to deal with so i decided to cut cost at the RAM w/128mb. Ram can easily be updated later. my computer needs are simple:fast internet surfing,no need for gaming bells and whistles,etc.)

i fiqured once i started adding/removing all kinds of trial/share/freeware for a couple of months,the computer would come to a crawl with a P4/ 128mb/40gb,im surprised its running slow already despite 128mb. yes there is lots of "crapware" and i will add 128mbddr ram later today to see what happens. keep the replies coming in!.)

13. suesman

suesman

Personally If I had time, I would just return it. It could be that it just needs more ram & a good cleaning, but the lockups shouldn't be happening right out of the box. Period. (n)

Don't listen to the salespeople. Most of them don't have a clue as to what they're selling you. I talked to a support guy once that didn't even own a computer. ?????

You can build your own, but if you're not comfortable with doing so, do alot of research beforehand. Make sure the company has good business practices, a good warranty policy & uses name brand componants. Most of all "actually know what they are selling you". :D

14. hewee

hewee

Plus don't forget the junk we add to the PC that takes a hit on the CPU and memory.
    You know your other programs you want or have to protect your PC.
    I have ZA Pro, Norton System Works, Spybot, AdAware, Spyguard, Spyblaster and they all take from CPU and memory.

When a program says it needs 100MB of memory to run don't say I have 256 so it's ok because it needs it for that program and and each of your programs need what it says to run.

15. compilerxp

compilerxp

Also with on-board video systems, a certain amount of your memory (8~64mb) is lost for your display...

The next 128mb should help... but a few bucks more would have paid for a 256mb module.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice