P4,2.3ghz,128mb --VS---Celeron,633mhz,28mb--I NEED EXPECT ADVICE SOON

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
You may or probaly don't hav time to look into all the possibilities that everyone has mentioned here. My advice would be to protect urself and make use of their return policy. If you feel like you want to exchange it for an upgrade model and continue to do business with them, then that's you. On returning the pc though I would express my discontent (tactfully) that the salesperson din't recommend you get a model that offers more Ram for a machine preloaded with XP.

--Even with a limited number of extra softwr applics.; I wouldn't recommend runnin XP with any less than 192-256Mb's of RAM.

question... how fast is your ram speed?? and what type of ram are u using? SD? DDR? RD? :rolleyes: the 3 types of rams make BIG difference not only in cost but in speed as well

sharky

I installed 128 ddr ram today(all i can budget for today) bringing to a "potential" total of 258mb. i immediately got quick results,but still not confident in the machine.

also i ran pcpstip analysis,pc reported 4 total slots but i found only "2".,both occupied. also pcpitstop reported this discrepency:

"The System Management BIOS is reporting that there is 256 MB of RAM, but Windows reports that 192 MB is available. The most common reason for this discrepancy is that your system uses some system RAM for the video graphics card or BIOS functions. This case is common in highly-integrated PCs with video graphics built into the system board, and does not require any changes on your part.

There is a large discrepancy between the memory reported by the BIOS versus Windows. Often, this indicates a System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) problem and you may be able to fix it with a BIOS upgrade available from the vendor. SMBIOS results can be incorrect even if the power-on self test (POST) detects all of your installed RAM. For more insight into what your SMBIOS reports and why it can be wrong, download and run our SMBIOS reporting tools."

(PS IM MAKING A SMALL DONATION TO TECHGUY THIS WEEKEND FOR THE HELP)

The onboard video adapter is probably sharing the system memory, thus the discrepency. Either that or it is reporting the amount of available system memory when windows is running.

Hey! Don't I get a cut?! ;)

With the extra memory... (as you said, instand results) - if the crashes still continue - take it ALL back.

At Sams Club : $600 = Compaq Set, 512mb, 80GB HD and a 17" monitor.

sharky

O YEA,..this computer is a lemon AND going back. After adding memory the computer is flying along nice and fast BUT,the inside fan came on(computer in use about 30minutes),the computer rebooted.

started surfing and got error messages such as:
BCCODE:1000008E BCP1:C000005....................(TRANCATED)..................OSVER5_1_.....PRODUCT:768_1

C:\WINDOWS\MINIUMP\MINI101103-01 DMP
C:\DOCUME~1\ONWER\LOCALS~\TEMP\WER1B.TMPDIR00\SYSDATA.XML

THANKS EVERYONE FOR HELPING

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online