P4 3.2GHz running @ 2.8GHz ? Why?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

acameron

OK, there may be a simple answer to this but I will ask anyway :eek:

I found this out cause I have been looking for ways to tweek my system for playing my games...It runs everything pretty good I just was looking to streamline it a little so I started looking through Everest and found this...........

I am running a P4 3.2GHz LG775 CPU.....however if I run Everest (V 2.20.405) it tells me I am running a P4 3.2GHz @ 2.8GHz (14x multiplier and a 200MHz FSB)
Does this have anything to do with CPU throttling? Everest says CPU throttling is enabled but I don't know what that is :(

Why does it show this way, shouldn't it be 16x w/ a FSB of 200MHz ? Or is Everest not reading things correctly?

thnx

Processor throttling is designed to 'slow down' processor to save power, reduce heat, and hopefully extend component life. When it shows 14X, for the 2.8ghz speed, why do you think that is incorrect? 14X times 200Mhz fsb gives you 2.8Ghz for the Proc.

If you don't like this, Disable throttling.

acameron

winbob said:
Processor throttling is designed to 'slow down' processor to save power, reduce heat, and hopefully extend component life. When it shows 14X, for the 2.8ghz speed, why do you think that is incorrect? 14X times 200Mhz fsb gives you 2.8Ghz for the Proc.

If you don't like this, Disable throttling.
OK, thats kinda what I figured was happening, but I wasn't sure. I know 14 x 200 = 2800 and that it was correct math wise, I didn't know what processor throttling was or if it was responsible for the 14x instead of 16x mulitiplier that Everest was showing me. :eek:

Does throttling effect a PC's performance? Or is the response from the chipset fast enough on its reaction to the CPU's needs that it wont slow it down?

It's my understanding that your Pentium CPU throttles down when it reaches a certain heat threshold (P4-3.2 is approx. 73C I believe). If Everest is reading your Gigabyte mobo correctly, then your CPU was overheating a bit, hence the throttling. If you're using the stock heatsink that came with the CPU and you're running intensive games or programs that cause your CPU to throttle down, you might want to consider upgrading your heatsink and/or improving airflow through the case.

acameron

I don't think thats it. It is showing 14x right now with a CPU temp of 33. All I have open is Everest and my browser.

Throttling will also occur when the full power of the Processor is not required.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online