1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

p4 based celeron???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

i just bouht a "p4 based celeron 2.2ghz 400fsb". what does that mean? is it one of those celerons that are super easy to overclock?

2. zeddy

zeddy

I think it means you have bought a crippled P4? but I may be wrong???

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your motherboard plays a very important part in overclocking - will it allow you to or not. Celeron = less cache = less performance. At 2.2Ghz its not noticeable in most tasks. Its also at 400Mhz FSB, while most P4's run at 400/533/800Mhz. And now there's news of 1Ghz FSB.

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, so what if the mobo allows it, ive heard before about a celeron that intel put out where it was really a pIII that they slapped a celeron label on and sold it like that. so someone found out, and tried running it at the speed of a pIII, and it worked seamlessly.

5. pronute

pronute

there are 3 types of Celerons

slot 1 based on the P2
    socket 370 based on the P3
    socket478 based on the P4- the latest

6. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

yeah yeah yeah, its the 478 pin kind.
    so can it be overclocked?

7. dai

dai

according to the overclockers they run ok at 3g but as triple6 said it depends on the m/b whether you can o/c and by how far generally used by gamers who build their comps specifically for this purpose not much point if you are just browsing the web

8. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

well, actually, i build computers, or i'm learning how to, and i would sell it most likely, so i get to pick the motherboard.

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

Name brand computer - no. They do not build OC abilities into their products. Due note: Celerons are not comparible to AMDs in performance, much less standard P4 CPUs.

10. pronute

pronute

Don't sell over clocked systems to people without their permission over clocking no matter how slight voids all warrantees and over taxes all the components. plus it's very shady to sell something that's not what it appears to be, it's just like if you bought a Lincoln that was actuly a dress up Pinto.

11. compilerxp

compilerxp

With techie customers... I offer to OC their systems a bit... :)

Even in the 486 days to customers, but those where CYRIX chips which under normal 80 Mhz, *DID NOT* get too hot to touch! These were easy to OC to 100~120mhz.

12. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

this person asked me to help oc the cpu...
    ok, i am confused with all the answers i have recieved. i now have a motherboard. its an asus mew-am, and it was free. i'm almost positive that it's possible to oc with it, but if someone knows anything about it, let me know!
    and i still don't know where to find a good site for reference on this matter...

13. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, i'm not saying that this site isn't a wonderful reference....
    i'm just impatient for answers, and i like to dig for them on my own!

14. Whitestar

Whitestar

If u search on google for over clocking, u'll find loadsa sites and forums.

15. dai

dai

just o/c the front side bus in gradual increments if the board allows this,when the system becomes unstable drop it back slightly,go to far and the computer will not boot
    try this site
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice