1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

P4 Motherboard ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wogster, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Hi, just want to ask anyone that can share some insight to Brand Names of P4 MB's. I want to buy a new cpu case with at least a 350 watt psu. I don't want top quality because I can't afford it, but I want an Intel P4 GHz ?? w/512 mb ram minimum.

Our machine at present is a Shuttle HOT - 661 Intel PII 434 MHz (overclocked), I think it's time to upgrade. I went out to a few local compu shops in my area and came home all mixed up. Of course the sales people there want you to buy certain boards that they like, but which one's should I really be looking at, what brand is good?? Is a P4 made by "Shuttle" a wise choice?

I live in Toronto, Canada so keep in mind that if you live else-where, the availability of some brands may not exist here.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Shuttle is not a bad brand.

also look at ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte and some Aopen boards. stay away from ECS

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If you're thinking of upgrading to 2.0Ghz or higher, you should get a good a 350w power supply at least. (Antec, Enermax, Sparkle)

You'll be paying a premium for the Intel CPU. At least $100 more than an equivalent AMD CPU. But the choice is yours.

Good motherboard brands include: Asus, Abit, MSI, Shuttle...

You mught want to go to www.newegg.com and read some of the reviews left by customers.

www.pricewatch.com for checking current prices in US dollars. I'm sure you can find one that ships to Canada.

good luck.

4. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Every Intel P4 has different sockets... A sockets ? B sockets ? and some have numbers ? I know that this socket is where the processor goes, but why are there so many different types and what should I look for in that ???? Thank those of you who repied to my first question...

5. Dynochem

Dynochem

Socket A is for AMD processors (e.g. Athlon 1800XP)
    Try to steer clear of Socket 423 (no. of pins on CPU)...not popular
    For latest Intel P4 spec. get Socket 428

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

Sockets change when the processor design is changed to accomodate a new feature, manufacturing process, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about sockets per se....I suggest picking the processor and speed you want, that will tell you what socket type you need.

Next, pick a quality motherboard that uses that type of socket....then narrow your motherboard choice down further by looking at features, memory type, etc.

As mentioned before, a QUALITY 350W powersupply is the MINIMUM I would purchase. If you can afford it a 400W or even 450 will let you upgrade components in the future without any power concerns.

7. Richardhtml

Richardhtml

I had great results with ASUS, MSI and Intell, ensure you have socket 478 as it supports processors below/above 2.0 GHz.
    Asus also comes with ASUS Probe, this is a software that will monitor your system and let you know if a fan quits or overheats.

8. Crylynx

Crylynx

HI

In concerns to your p4 board I am running the soyo
    SY-P4X400 DRAGON ULTRA PLATINUM EDITION socket 478
    I also live in canada so it is a little pricey. It was the mother board of the year in 2002 by a couple of places. It handles DDR400 and up to a 3.06ghz. Has built in 6channel sound which wasn't to bad, but I put a audigy2 in to go with my klipsch 5.1. Anyways check it out at www.soyo.com It is at most computer stores in Alberta anyways. And yes go with a 400 or 450 watt power supply as Jtoast has mentioned. I went with the emerax 450w and it has two fans, It pulls heat up off the cpu with one and the other blows out the back. Best of luck and happy shopping.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice