P4 Prescott Temp question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nymb09

i have a p4 3.2 ghz prescott processor and was wondering what a good temp is for it, at idle its about 43-45 and during games it can reach about 65, are these temps dangerous on a daily basis? or should i not worry?

I'd also like to know the same mines a 3ghz intel pentium 4 prescott and at the moment mine is 60-62c idle :eek: i have added new fans too, dont know what else to do to cool it, is it running at a dangerous temperature? cheers.

at 65 your basicly at the overheating point

that is usally when the CPU downclocks it's self to keep it's self from getting killed

that means less speed for your money

you need something better then the stock cooler.

also if you don't have enough case fans you can remove the side panel from the case, this will let let more heat out so the cpu will heat up a lot less

I am running a p4 prescott and my temps were 47c at idle and it would reach 70c under load so i pulled the stock heatsink/fan and replaced it with an aftermarket heatsink/fan and artic silver 5 and now my computer idles at 39c and never goes over 56c under 100% load while running stress test.I have been sold on the artic silver.I have learned since i have been a member at TSG and read all the post here that a good thermal paste will make the difference between a hot processor or a cool processor.

My p4 idles around 32c and the hottest I've seen it is around 49c aprox. Good ventilation is required.I've got 3 80m as intakes. One a screamer of a Delta that I only crank up under load , don't want the case to take off :). One 80m exhaust. Spare 80m blowing at the chipset. Plus the regular antec ps fans.Lets just say all seems well with a little excess positive pressure. :D

nymb09

thanks for all the tips but my real concern is if i dont do anything to improve it (the way the case is set up theres not much room for more fans) will my processor risk damage?

Hi nymb09!

Proper case cooling is essential in today's pc's. Especially the prescotts since they tend to run pretty hot! Your asking whether or not the cpu will get damaged if you do nothing. This is kind of a take 2 situation. If you do nothing and your temps stay at this level. This is going to bring up the internal temperature inside the case. This in turn will affect everything inside the case. Your hdd, video, psu, etc will run hotter as well. Heat and dust are the top two enemies of electronic components.

Now you also stated that there's no room for any fans. So can you tell us how many fans you have installed and what direction each one is blowing. Im just asking this if you have your fans installed backwards it could be working against each other and not cooling properly.

I will second the notion of buying an aftermarket cooler. If you need any recommendations. I would definately go with a zalman cpu cooler. They are quiet even running at full speed. Plus if you throw some artic silver 5 on it. That should drop it a few more degrees Celcius.

www.zalmanusa.com

I dont know what case you got or how many fans installed. If your case doesnt have enough fans to keep your hardware cool. It would be a good thought to find one that does.

I hope this helps.....If you need anymore help just post on back in this thread.
TC
rockin'male

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online