1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

P4B533 (Intel 845E) Series Question on RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WaRe, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

Ok i am wondering with this motherboard "P4B533 (Intel 845E) Series " does it take RAMBUS RAM specifically or can SDRAM or DDR be put in. Here are the specs from ASUS but i am not to illeterate to understand some stuff.

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4b533/overview.htm

I am wondering because a friend ordered that motherboard and i want to make sure he knew what he was getting into first especially if it requires RAMBUS RAM...

Well any opinions are helpful and or if it takes regualr SDRAM or DDR or just striclly RAMBUS..

Thanks
    Dennis

2. active95

active95

The board doesn't use the RAMBUS ( aka RIMM/RDRAM). So need to get a DDR RAM stick .
    If you interested in a RAMBUS motherboard this one is what you need http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4t533-c/overview.htm
    Any board with an Intel 850 chipset will use RAMBUS , and any board with a Intel 845 chipset will use DDR RAM
    HTH

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

The first 845 Mobos were SD-RAM only... It wasn't until about 6 months ago that DDR was available for the P4 line.

The best deal on DDR and P4 is the VIA DDR333 chipset, its quite close to RD-RAM systems... if you could actually buy one.

4. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

Ohh Pooop.. I put the wrong board.. I just looked at their website in in 2 days they came out wiht 3 more darn motherboards on their site. It was the P4T533-C.. Does this take Rambus???

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4t533-c/overview.htm

Let me know..

850E Rambus Performance Solution!!
    P4T533-C (Intel 850E) Series
    ASUS P4T533-C is based on IntelĀ® 850E which offers 533MHz FSB, 4 RIMM for PC800/PC1066 memory, 5 PCI, USB 2.0, optional LAN and audio

Thanks again.
    D.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

I don't understand why you are asking if it takes RAMBUS, you posted a quote from the website which tells you this.

6. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

hehhe, as i said i am slow and i wasnt sure if it could just support rambus but also other RAM like sdram or ddr. that is why i asked. :p

THanks
    D

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

RD-RAM, DDR & SDR RAM modules are not pinn compatible with each other.

If you want the best (in general) P4 performance, you'll need the tad more expensie RD-RAM Mobo. note, even thou they have 4 slots - you only get 2 banks of RAM. (go in pairs). So think of them as 2 slots.

If you want something a bit lower cost now with DDR that may work on future machines, an AMD mobo that supports 333Mhz DDR may work for you.

8. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

thanks for the input..

D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/80600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice