P5wd2-e Bios Setup Help Required

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

toleary

I built the system up, and BIOS starts OK.
But I am unsure as to the way to configure BIOS, and need to be walked through it.
I have two SATA HDDs and wnat to set them up in a RAID array.
But I'm unsure of the entire BIOS setup process, as well as loadung WindowsXPpro, once the BIOS and drives are setup.
I'd really like to do it myself and learn.

Ciberblade

Retired Moderator
Hey there...I presume you have the manual -- thought, I'm not certain how to walk you through. If you understand the basic tab-based navigation...then setting the system clock IDE master/slave (HardDrive) (this would typically be set by auto either with Cable Select (CS) or the Master (MS)/Slave(SL) jumpers.

It would be much easier for me to answer a specific question :cool:

Hi
just build a p5ld2, and what you will have to do is make a 3.5 disk from the mobo disk look for make disk for ICH7R this is the mass storage contral when you boot up for the first time hit ctrl & i at the same time this will get you in the raid bios to set the array up then after you get them set up and start windows on the first screen you need to hit "F6 " and it will tell you to put in the 3.5 disk after that it will just load windows

toleary

Thankyou for all the thoughtful responses

yes I have the manual, but am not familiar with all the features the board offers.
yes I created the F6flpy32, and have a WXPproSP2 CD on hand
yes I can navigate the BOIS settings pages more or less.

There is a guy on the ASUS P5WD2-E forum named Wizard, who posted a couple of really in depth explanantions, but I'm still looking for additional support.

His Inglish ain't so gud, and I'm a beginner when it comes to BIOS.

One thing that I'm unsure about is where to plug in the 2 SATA drives, then how to configure the RAID ARRAY.
right now when I turn on the system, I get this

PRI IDE MASTER LITEON DVDRW
PRI IDE SLAVE NOT DETECTED
THIRD IDE MASTER WDC 250KS- (00MJB)
FOURTH IDE SLAVE NOT DETECTED
FOURTH IDE MASTER WDC 250KS- (00MJB)
FOURTH IDE SLAVE NOT DETECTED

these are all my devices, except the floppy which I recall it reported as being detected, and is set to the default

Is this where the other devices should be plugged in?

Sections 4.3.5 & 4.3.6 in the mobo manual:
What settings in 4.3.5?

Then on to 4.3.6
I want to set up a RAID 1 array and create two partitions; one for system/apps and one for data. Suggestions on partition size, and comments on this approach?

more 4.4.6:
my piece of crap JUSTPC case doesn't have any wires that resemble the connectors for HD Audio, and I was unable to find any technical references for HD audio on the Internet so far.

Then there is the Marvell SATA/PATA Controller section.

back to 2.4.1
I wanted to configure my 2 (matched) Corsair DDR2-800-512 ram as dual channel; I think it is showing up as being that already, I think I stuck them in DMM_A1 and DIMM_B1
comments? if the sticls are correctly plugged in the mobo does the rest, correct?

Someone I know had a crash during SATA configuration and it corrupted the drives and he had to send them back. I do not want this to happen to me

I bought a WinFast PX6200TD PCIx graphics card which didn't light up the first monitor I tried, but does another which is the same model as the first.
This bothered me, but Newegg won't let me upgrade it without me paying a restocking charge.
It's only a few dollars, but I don't like their stance.
I say the graphics card is a flakey piece of crap, and therefore is defective, and I'm entitled to upgrade it.
comments on this graphics card, the malfunction, and my attitude?

The ASUS Wizard from Holland says that a lot of the mobo's features don't work and are useless, and avoid them.
I can include a link to his posts if anyone is interested

I'm looking for some opinions form others who are running this mobo or one of its siblings.

Once I'm satisified that I understand enough to get past this phase, then I'll suck it up and try to install XPpro.
I actually did install W98 in a classroom setting sometime back, but am unsure of myself and don't want to screw up my new box, but still want to do it myself.
thanks!

ok back, first thing do not worried about sections 4.3.5/6 this section
is for ide drives,

2.4.1 and yes you have the ram right.

why do you want to use partition with a raid 1 setup ?
if you lost a drive you have the other one there

are you going to use 2 video cards if so you need to use ati cards with crossfire
if not then that one is ok but be sure and put in the blue slot
the 2th one is for crossfire only

on the video card you can do one of 2 thing rma back to leadtek or paid
the restocking

i have never heard of a new drive that got corrupted when seting it up
that was not bad already

i alway use the intel set up so when making your f6 disk be sure and
make the "intel ICH7 32 bit raid driver and plug the drive in ones the
say just sata 1-4 they are the one that are stacked then go to section
5.4.2 and it will tell you how to set it up

toleary

thanks for the feedback: my replies in caps (no offense intended. or shouting)

ok back, first thing do not worried about sections 4.3.5/6 this section
is for ide drives,
OK!
2.4.1 and yes you have the ram right.
Good!
why do you want to use partition with a raid 1 setup ?
if you lost a drive you have the other one there
THEN MAYBE IT WOULD BE BETTER TO DO A RAID 0 PARTITION FOR APPS, AND A RAID 1 FOR DATA; STILL THE QUESTION REMAINS HOW TO DO THIS
are you going to use 2 video cards if so you need to use ati cards with crossfire
if not then that one is ok but be sure and put in the blue slot
ONE VIDEO CARD; CROSSFIRE ISN'T IN THE BUDGET AND I'M NOT GAMING.
the 2th one is for crossfire only

on the video card you can do one of 2 thing rma back to leadtek or paid
the restocking
YEAH IT'S OLD NEWS. IF IT WORKS DON'T FIX IT. NEXT TIME I'LL BUY FORM A VENDOR WHO ACTUALLY RECOMMENDS PRODUCTS AND DOSN'T JUST SELL THEM AND THEN LET YOU HANG. THERE ARE GOOD PRODUCTS OUT THERE AT GOOD PROCES, SO IT'S HARD FOR ME TO DIFFERENTIATE ON THE BASIS OF PRICE ALONE. IT COULD BE WORSE!
i have never heard of a new drive that got corrupted when seting it up
that was not bad already
YEAH WELL SATA IS ALL NEW TO ME, AND I WAS ATTRACTED TO THE THROUGHPUT. THE STORY IS THAT SYSTEM CRASHED DURING CONFIGURING THEN AFTER THAT THEY WERE NO LONGER ACCESSIBLE AFTER THAT. MAYBE IT WAS BS.

i alway use the intel set up so when making your f6 disk be sure and
make the "intel ICH7 32 bit raid driver and plug the drive in ones the
say just sata 1-4 they are the one that are stacked then go to section
5.4.2 and it will tell you how to set it up
THAT'S HELPFUL THANKS A LOT!!

THEN MAYBE IT WOULD BE BETTER TO DO A RAID 0 PARTITION FOR APPS, AND A RAID 1 FOR DATA; STILL THE QUESTION REMAINS HOW TO DO THIS

you can only do one or the other raid 0 is using both drives as one drive which would read 500 gig drive

raid 1 is where you use one drive to write to and the other is a back up so if you loss you main drive you just change drives
here read this to under stand better http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci214332,00.html

toleary

It is my understanding that the ASUS mobo and Intel chipset supports Matrix Storage Technology; multiple RAID arrays.
e.g. over two HDDs;the type of RAID is selectable on a per-partition basis. However, the RAID configs that are available are limited to RAID 0; 1; 5, & 10.
not nine like shown in the tech link you provided.
So I need to get the procedure for setting up a RAID ) for the applications and a RAID 1 for the data.

It is my understanding that the ASUS mobo and Intel chipset supports Matrix Storage Technology; multiple RAID arrays

true, you need to pick 1 type that will best meet your needs
as you can only use one type at any give time

toleary

Yes so let's say I divide the array into two partitions; partition 1 can be RAID 0 and the other RAID 1.
partition 1 spans both hdds set to 50G and is RAID 0 for applications; optimum throughput; effective storage space is about 100G no protection.

partition 2 spans both hdds; set to 200G and is RAID 1 for data; throughput is equal to that of a single drive, but they're SATA and achieve max throughput on this mobo; effective storage space is 200G with data mirrored on both hdds.

That's how I understand aRAID Marix Array works

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online