1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Packard Bell b3312 screen issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anomander, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anomander

Anomander Thread Starter

Hi
    I am trying to sort out my kids laptop, PB b3312 running xp home.
    The problem is: I get an image at the bios flash screen, after that display is always dimmed. I can enter bios and still read everything fine as it stays lit.
    I have tried several screens, along with a brand new inverter but to no avail. :confused:
    Have also hooked it up externally and all is well there, display is fine.
    Am now at the point of tearing my hair out, as I can't find any help on the net either.

Cheers in advance for any suggestions :)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does the computer have any kind of special button or function key for toggling between the internal screen and external screen?

If that does not work, have you tried tapping the F8 function key during boot up without an external monitor connected? If all goes well, that should give you a stable display of a white on black Windows start up selection menu on the built-in screen. You should be then be able to select to start in Safe mode to give you a low resolution but stable Windows desktop. You should then be able to set the display properties to match the resolution of the built-in display.

3. Anomander

Anomander Thread Starter

Yes have tried the toggle buttons to get it onto the external display. works fine on external.

F8 is only accesible on the external monitor, cant see anything once it gets past the bios splash screen on the laptop itself.

4. Anomander

Anomander Thread Starter

Am thinking is not the screen ribbon either, as the laptop would not post to bios then either.
    Have searched everywhere and still found no solution to this problem, or any that are the same.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You might consider reinstalling the latest video controller driver software if you not had all ready tried it.

If I were in a similar situation my next step might be to back up all of the user files (documents, downloads, e-mails, music, photos, etc.) to an external drive and try a repair installation of Windows or a full revert to factory fresh conditions. Either one may require re-installing software that was added after the computer left the factory.

6. Anomander

Anomander Thread Starter

Yup been there and done it mate, including the full re-install.

Am at a total loss :confused:

Happened all of a sudden too, I repaired the power socket, and was working fine, then just went dim out of nowhere. These machines have a daughter board for the power switch and socket, am wondering if this is the next line of questioning

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is it just the backlight cutting out (very dark but still visible desktop) or the backlight still on but a black display?

8. Anomander

Anomander Thread Starter

yup backlight is cutting out leaving the display dim

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It is strange that the backlight continues to work OK when viewing the BIOS screens and then cuts out as soon as the operating system is starting to load.

This is a completely wild guess but could the boot up procedure be attempting to dim the backlight and somehow going too far? One test might be to view the laptop's power settings options using the external display and see if you have an option to change the built-in display's backlight brightness. Then try going to through the available range and see if the backlight comes to life.

10. Anomander

Anomander Thread Starter

good thinking will check that out.

another thought I just had is to check the voltage from the daughter board (where the screen plugs in), to the inverter to make sure it is getting enough juice. It still wouldn't explain it lighting up in the bios though.

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Check the voltages (There will be a main power input and probably some kind of dimming control line) The control line could be a pulse-width-modulated signal or a variable DC voltage. See if there are any changes in them when going from the BIOS screen to the start of Windows.

12. Anomander

Anomander Thread Starter

sorted it mate...after having it in bits and taking the board out, then connecting to the screen, all was fine.

put it back together and it dimmed again.

Only then did I spot the button for closing the lid was sticking down intermittently....d'oh

cant believe i missed something so simple after all the stripping etc...

Cheers for your help mate :) much appreciated

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Wow. That took a sharp eye and a bit of thinking outside the box. Did you have to replace the switch or just loosen things up a bit?

14. Anomander

Anomander Thread Starter

just jiggled it around a little and seems to be fine so far.

If it carries on, will desolder it I think lol

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!