1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Packard Bell Recovery management

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pedantic_pete, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pedantic_pete

pedantic_pete Thread Starter

Hi I ran into problems doing a system restore on my Packard Bell EasyNote MX37 laptop (I only had one recovery disk and the restore process asked for more, so I ended up without an OS on the HD. Packard Bell UK wanted £50 for replacement disks (computer out of warranty). Fortunately a colleague had a Vista DVD for the same version as mine was, so I was able to restore Vista from that using my computer's software key. However, this version doesn't have a facility to create new restore disks. It appears I need the Packard Bell Recovery Management suite, which obviously I don't have.

Is there any easy way of doing this without having to fork out the £50?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Hello and welcome to TSG.

You could clone your new installation on to an external drive but a copy of Acronis True Image wold cost you (in England) £28 and an external disk costs whatever it costs, depending on the size. A 1Tb disk in my country is about £50.

Alternatively, you could take good care of your system and it might run for years without needing to be reinstalled. However, I would have more confidence in that statement if Vista wasn't involved. Perhaps a shiny new DVD of Windows 7 would be a good investment. :D

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. pedantic_pete

pedantic_pete Thread Starter

Thanks. I have a network drive. By cloning do you mean just copy the C: drive across?

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Cloning software does more than just copy - check out one of Elvandil's free recommendations and see how you get on. You could use two separate utilities to make clones on to different Partitions - just in case.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice