1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Packet loss over home network - two routers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AlexEllis, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexEllis

AlexEllis Thread Starter

Hi,

I am experiencing packet loss over my home network in the following configuration:

I have two wireless routers:
    1) D-Link 615 connected to a cable modem via WAN port.192.168.0.1
    2) Belkin Wireless N router with "Act as access point enabled" 192.168.0.254

A wireless laptop connects to either access point or a PC connects directly into router 2 or into router 2 via a switch plugged into one of the ports on router 2.

A 25 meter cable runs between the two routers on a LAN port.

When the cable is connected I experience some packet loss when pinging youtube.com and a slowing down when accessing secure http sites from either router. Youtube.com malfunctions when playing videos -- but most other web usage appears to work. If I disconnect the uplink cable, then I have none of the above symptoms.

I'm currently using a patch cable to link the routers.
    Update: I have just borrowed a brand-new 10 meter cross-over cable and I'm getting the same packet loss with that as the uplink cable in at least two scenarios:

150 pings to youtube.com via a PC plugged directly into router 2 gives 0% packet loss.

A wireless client connected to either access point gives Lost = 9 (6% loss).

Then a PC plugged into the switch which is also plugged into router 2 router gives Lost = 12 (8% loss)

What I'm doing seems to be quite common and I've read of successful setups on this forum.

Please could someone advise?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Check the wiring of the cable, it would be my top suspect.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/941862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice