packet loss problem in hop 4 on wireless net

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

prowler351

my internet in painfully slow and I'm suspecting its comcast but wanted to find out a bit more.

when i run tracert and ping anyone, I usually have at least one of the 3 tries sent out in hop 4 time out but I cant figure out who it belongs to.

hops=

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 32 ms 33ms 31ms ip-66-218-225-1.midstate.ip.cablemo.net
3 34ms 53ms 45ms 216-229-80-177-empty.fidnet.com
4 * 141ms * 216-229-95-189-empty.fidnet.com
5 * 51ms 69ms RLLA-cable-ATM2-0.1.fidnet.com[216.229.64.50]

most of the time hop 5 doesnt time out. theres a couple random timeouts each time here and there but hop4 fidnet is consistent.

im on a linksys router and ive tried everything i know on my end but my nets slow and online games are filled with latency.

I use comcast cable with their "fastest" service and and its around a place called Rolla in missouri(U.S.A). I'm guessing Rolla is where the RLLA in hop 5 is comming from.

So does this look like it has to be my service provider?
I've checked this with another pc in my house as well with same results so i at least know its not the wi-fi.

Thanks for any of your expertise.
Jesse

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

prowler351

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2416643

Sorry it took so long to post back. I work 24 hour shifts so I havn't been home.
that's the only one I ran and it checks out all O.K.
I would have ran more, but that ping test doesn't go through the one ip address that I have problems with. guess it must not be my cable lines then but is
216-229-95-189-empty.fidnet.com comcasts responsibility or will I just be SOL¿?
trace route shows me going through that IP on so many sites i like to go on(www.google.com,Yahoo,worldofwarcraft and their game server,Break,Digg). Techguy doesnt though :) . but all the others there go through
216-229-80-177-empty.fidnet.com and then
216-229-95-189-empty.fidnet.com where it always has packetloss.

I'll be grateful to any info or things that might work. I miss getting to watch streaming videos and playing games without lots of latency.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the ping test doesn't work, then you need to find out where the firewall is blocking it.

prowler351

Huh?¿?¿ the link to the successful test is at the top of my last post. had firewall off in windows and hooked straight into my modem. no firewalls and the test worked fine. It just didn't go through the ip address that always lags out on me after it leaves my house

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online