Packet Loss Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bereziN

Okay! I have been having this issue for about a month now. Everyday from 7pm - 11pm, my internet has random lag spikes and my computer recives packet loss. I've tried calling my ISP (Rogers Cable, i live in Toronto, Ontario), and everytime i talk with some one, they tell me something different. At random times during the day, i won't be able to open my homepage for 10 minutes, it will be connecting, and then won't open the page, if i keep refreshing sometimes it might open (it all depends on the moment when i'm receiving spikes).

I have a 6MB high-speed cable connection. First, i called my isp and they told me they were pinging my modem and they could see lots of packet loss, they pinged my neighbors (i live in a building by the way) and they could see some packet loss with some of my neighbors. They submitted a ticket and a tech guy came to our building to check all the wiring or whatever he's supposed to check.

A few days later i got a call from Rogers, they told me the issue was resolved, but obviously it wasn't, because i was still getting the same issue at different times of the day. I called them again and this time, they told me that the problem was from my side, so they booked an appointment for a technician to come to my apartment and check everything out. When the technician came early during the day (4pmish) he pinged my modem and obviously he said that everything was fine, i told him that i knew it was fine just because the internet only starts acting up after 7, he told me that it might have to do with the wiring in the building, then he left.

The day after i was having the same problem again and i called Rogers and i told them that the problem hasn't been fixed, the guy pinged my modem and saw the same results as before (i only call when i'm having the issue), only some of my neighbors were recieving small packet loss this time. He submitted a ticket and got a person to come and check out the building for the 2nd time again.

By the way, i have called more then these times, i have called my isp many times when i was receiving lag issues and as soon as they would start pinging my modem, my internet would go back to normal and it wouldn't be laggy and everything would work perfectly, so the guy on the other end told me he couldn't report any problem because he wasn't receving any problems through the tests he was running.

So once again, even after the guy came to check out the internet for the 2nd time, earlier today i started lagging again, so i called and this time i wasn't lagging as bad as usual, sometimes i wouldn't be able to open up my homepage, but sometimes when i would refresh the page would open (once again spikes). The guy told me that it might be my ethernet cable or my modem, he was also telling me that i wasn't getting any packet loss at all (all of a sudden my internet was back to normal, great huh), he suggested that i should go to a Rogers store near by and exchange my modem because it might be because of the modem, i kept telling him to ping my modem and he got one result of 400ping.

After this phone call, i started lagging again 10 minutes later, i got my friend to ping my modem (he lives in Windsor, Onatrio) and he said i was getting over 2000 ping (he pinged me 50 times in a row). I'm also a gamer, so this makes playing games online impossible, also in my ventrilo server that is located in NYC i ping over 30,000 sometimes.

If anybody can help me with this issue i would HAPPILY donate to this website, just because i am so sick and tired of this issue. I've never seen anything like it, it just started happening to me out of no where. I tried checking the wiring and i tried unplugging things and plugging things back in, its just those times of the day where i receive lag (7-11pm) :(. Any ideas or any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online