1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

packet loss question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mikesa, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikesa

Mikesa Thread Starter

I have been having problems establishing my first wireless network. My win98SE has a Netwave PCI adapter and it connects to my Belkin F5D6230-3 Cable Gateway/Router. I also have a Win2000 PC connected to one of the ethernet ports of the router. The router is connected to my Broadband modem. My hard wire connected PC accesses the the router and internet with no problems. I have checked everything, NAT enabled on the router, DHCP enabled on the client. SSID and channel synchronized, WEP/encryption disabled for now on both, everything is set up right. I see a connection, my wireless client receives IP 192.168.2.13 from Router 192.168.2.1. I even unplugged and took the batteries out of my 2.4 Ghz cordless phone. When I click on a website I get site found, connecting, and webpage opening, in the status bar. No data except 1 or 2Kbps every now and then, occurring even when the signal is good, 90-100%. All that being, said I jumped into the "Ping" arena and pinged my router from my ethernet connected PC and had 1ms response and 0% packet loss. I pinged my wireless PC from my ethernet connected PC and 2ms response with no packet loss. When I pinged the gateway router from my wireless Win98SE PC, I had numerous timeouts with a 45% packet loss. In each case I pinged with 20 56 byte packets. I have more info than I really need, but I'm not sure what it means. Both router and adapter have the latest firmware. Both are new. I suspect it's the adapter, that I bought online for $17, bt is there any way to tell, or have I already determined that? Any thoughts suggestions or comments appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mikesa

Mikesa Thread Starter

I made a reasonable assumption that the Netwave PCI adapter was the problem. I bought a D-Link Airplus G 802.11g adapter at OfficeMax, $19.95 after rebate. upgraded my OS to Win2000 and everthing is working perfect. The bad Netwave adapter was causing signal and data transfer issues with all the bad packets. I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who posts here. I knew just a little about networking and nothing about wireless, and reading through the posts has been tremendously helpful.

Thanks,
    Mike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice