1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Packet Loss + Unstable Ping | Please Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DarkKard, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarkKard

DarkKard Thread Starter

I did a 5-minute ping to google.com and a 10-minute ping to my own IP, these are the results. Please, somebody, help me understand what to do to resolve my issue. Thank you!
    Packet Loss Screenshot.png
    Packet Loss Screenshot 2.png

2. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Why do you think that you have an unstable connection, as losing a couple of packets over a period of time is normal, As ping packets will be dropped first, if there are any network connections along to way that are busy.

If you use something like Pingplotter it will give you a better viewer of which parts of the network path is busy.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  3. DarkKard

DarkKard Thread Starter

If you look at my minimum and maximum pings in both of the screenshots, you'll see how unstable it is, throughout each ping occurring, its very easy to notice spikes

4. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    If you run up the pingplotter app, it should show where the packets are getting lost and the range of the packet times,

The hard part is understanding where the delay is happening. As it is the Internet there is very little that you can do if the responds are a number of hops away from your router.

The other things to check, is what else is happening in the house, as 1 person doing an upload can really cause issue. Picture uploads from phones, etc and people watching youtube video's and netflix are another source of bandwidth stealing apps and would have the same effect of the times going up and down.

If you do a simple ping, what is the stats, as this is a good snap shot of what is happening. The longer time can confusion things.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What did you mean by your own IP?

I would suggest a 100 ping to your gateway/router. But as mentioned, pingplotter can see if the issue is outside of your home network.

If the issue is outside of your home network, then unless it's within your ISP's backbone network there's not much you can do because it will fall on whoever owns the devices. Your ISP may send a trouble ticket to the owner but it may not get taken care of it's it's not impacting anyone else. (as in not reported)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice