1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Packet tracer (the program)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Spacer_07, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spacer_07

Spacer_07 Thread Starter

Hey guys, does anyone here have any experience with packet tracer? I've connected various devices up through a number of different network segments on a LAN, however I myself have no knowledge of how network communications are handled outside the LAN.

So far I've got this:

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What exactly are you trying to do?

3. Spacer_07

Spacer_07 Thread Starter

Im trying to give internet access to my LAN, so as you can see in the picture, I've attached a dsl modem to the main gateway router, and then a cloud to represent the net.. however no joy! Also, I want to connect routers from office to office using this internet connection. Thanks

4. JohnWill

Why all the routers? Is that a wireless link? FWIW, what is the issue with Internet access, it looks as like you have all the parts. Can you connect to the Internet with a direct connection to the DSL modem with one computer? What's the exact make/model of the modem, and who is the ISP?

5. Spacer_07

Spacer_07 Thread Starter

Hey John, when i say I'm trying to give access to my LAN i dont mean my personal LAN at home (this isnt a representation of my home network)I mean my virtual LAN I've created for a make believe business on packet tracer. Therefore, I think model numbers etc do not apply, packet tracer mainly uses standard generic devices.

On the cloud interface in the example, the cloud needs a phone number input for the modem. When i try to send a packet from host to the internet (cloud) it says 'Cloud does not have ip address'. Thanks for your help John.

6. Spacer_07

Spacer_07 Thread Starter

Also John, just an update. I tried to connect cloud to dsl modem to a single host (not connected through a router or anything) and it worked fine. Here is my setup with the router which doesnt work:

Router:
    Ethernet 0 - Host 1 (using 192.168 addressing scheme)
    Ethernet 1 - Cable dsl modem (Im not sure which address to use here)

The problem is a red light on the end of ethernet 1's cable (the dsl modem side).

7. JohnWill

Cable DSL? Is it cable or DSL? What is the exact make/model of the modem? Who is the ISP?

Why it the cable connected to the LAN ports and not the WAN port of the router? That may be the whole issue.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice