Packet Writing Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Brantlyn

On our old PC and our fairly new laptop, my husband could view the photos on his Sony CD Mavica camera discs without finalizing them in the camera.

On our brand new PC, he cannot; and I have learned that this is because the older ones have packet writing software (Direct CD on the PC and Roxio version 7 on the laptop.)

I don't want to write CD's using this old software (and I don't want to mess up our new computer with Roxio!). However, if I could find some software to put on the new computer that would just read these discs, I might could get out of the doghouse with my husband!

Naturally, I prefer something cheap or free, but I will pay if I have to. Can anyone help?

Brantlyn

The DirectCD Reader sounds like exactly what I need, but there are lots of horror stories about it in the CNET reviews. These scare me because I am basically not very computer savy. Our computer has Windows XP Media Center Edition, and the CD/DVD software that came with it is Sonic Record Now. Do you think I will be safe trying this download?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a restore point before you load it. If something goes south, you can roll back to before the install. FWIW, I haven't had problems with this, but I've only used it a couple of times. I'm basically anti-packet writing, I think it's a lousy and unreliable way to use removable media.

Brantlyn

Thanks for your input. I believe I'm going to solve my problem by encouraging my husband to give up on those little Sony discs and buy a really good new digital camera that uses today's memory card media.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online