1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Page can not be displayed and Log-in issues

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Gogs, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gogs

Gogs Thread Starter

Hi,

I seem to be having intermittant issues with my internet connection on 2 different PCs where I am either getting regular page can not be displayed or page can not be found error messages.

This can occur on any website whilst doing normal browsing but seems to be a major issue when logging in to sites such as hotmail/e-bay or posting on forums. Refreshing the page usually solves the issue.

My Internet is from NTL and is a set-top box to a Belkin router and then CAT-5 cable to the 2 PCs. I have had the set-top box connected directly to each PC on it's own and had the same issue so I don't believe the router to be at fault (I'd replaced the old one because of this issue). I have also had the PCs connected to the router by wireless to eliminate the NICs as the problem to no avail.

I've cleared the Temp Internet files, run a number of anti-spyware apps, Ccleaner and virus checks on both.

NTL came out and changed the cable from the set-top box to the router and this made a slight difference (they'd stapled thru the old one) but the main issue still occurs. They also checked the connection from outside to the set-top and the signal was good.

I've checked task manager and it shows little utilisation of the NICs when the problem occurs.

I think the problem is with the set-top box as it is the only thing that hasn't been checked that thoroughly but wondered if there was anything else I could check on the PCs? They are both XP. My normal PC is P4 3.60GHz with 1GB RAM and the internet connection is 1Mb/s.

Cheers in advance

Gogs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice