1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Page Defrag Utility <freeware>

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jnibori, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

2. cnm

cnm

I use it, it works well.

3. Yakkum

Yakkum

what's the difference between the alpha version and the regular one. which one do i want to try? I'm on xp.

4. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Yakkum -

Personally, I would opt for the version that is not in the "Alpha" stage. In essence the Aphla indicates the very early stage of development of software. Sometimes the bugs/conflicts have not yet been discovered.

5. deadwire

deadwire

Alpha is not an alpha version of the software.... it is referring to the Alternate version of windows decicated to the DEC Alpha version os windows which runs on the DEC alpha processor and platform rather than the Intel x86 (which inclused p4 and athlons) platform.
    DEC Alpha is a full RISC processor for high volume servers

6. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

OK, now I'm lost;

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/alpha_version.html

"A very early version of a software product that may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version. Typically, software goes through two stages of testing before it is considered finished. The first stage, called alpha testing, is often performed only by users within the organization developing the software. The second stage, called beta testing , generally involves a limited number of external users."

7. deadwire

deadwire

Alpha version software (as in pre beta) is untested software that still has bugs etc...
    Alpha in THIS case refers to the DEC Alpha version of windows that only runs on the DEC Alpha processor.
    The DEC Alpha is a RISC processor (RISC is Reduced complexity instruction set) which is based on a motorolla processor similar to Apple computers. In alot of cases when there are 2 links and one says Alpha next to it, they are not speaking of a pre release version they are referring to the DEC Alpha version of the software.
    http://h18003.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/
    That is a link to HP's alpha based server page.

8. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Learn something new each time I visit this forum. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice