1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Page Fault in Non Paged Area BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by StevenX, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StevenX

StevenX Thread Starter

Lately I've been getting a BSOD with error message PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA. This happens pretty much at random as I'm surfing the net and is very frustrating as I have to do a full reboot every time it happens. Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it?

To help diagnose the problem, I've linked to a zip file with the minidump from the crash (found in c:/windows/minidump) and all of the critical errors and errors from the windows event viewer.

Attached Files:

2. Window

Window

1. Was there any hardware you added to the system that you think might be causing this? Can you remove that hardware and see if the BSOD still comes up? Did you INITIALLY update the driver for the hardware once you added it?
    2. If 1 does not apply, did you run diagnostics on system hardware? I recommend that you do so to rule out any hardware malfunctions.

At this point in time I suspect that the issue is most likely caused by one of the following:
    - Corrupt NTFS Volume
    - Faulty RAM
    - Faulty Video Card/MOBO

3. StevenX

StevenX Thread Starter

My laptop was sent for repair recently due to a faulty CD/DVD-R drive, which was replaced. Could this to be to blame? Of course, for all I know Toshiba could have added or replaced other bits and pieces as they saw fit in addition to the optical drive. As they replaced the drive, I can't say how the driver was installed.
    If this could be to blame I could try to figure out how to take it out (or would it be OK to uninstall the driver, reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver?)

What diagnostics routine would you recommend I go through?

The BSOD shows seemingly randomly, so if I were to take the optical drive out to see if that fixed it, it might take quite some time until I'd potentially see the next occurence of the BSOD (I seem to be getting around one a week). Note the BSOD never happens when I try to use the optical drive which makes me slightly inclined to think the optical drive might not be to blame?..

4. Window

Window

First go to device manager and see if you have any device problems there.
    Second, go to start>run>memory and hit enter. Select restart computer or check for problems next time computer is started. This will take care of the memory diagnostics.

Report back to us with results of the above steps.

5. StevenX

StevenX Thread Starter

Done that; no problems in the device manager and no problems detected from the memory diagnostics.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice