1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Page fault non paged area

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MelvinMcSnatch, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MelvinMcSnatch

MelvinMcSnatch Thread Starter

I've gone as far as my Google skills can take me, but I'm stuck trying to fix my problem.

I'm getting the BSOD error "Page fault non paged area," and Windows won't even boot in safe mode. I've tried running the computer with just one stick of memory at a time, and it's still a no-go. I've checked the hard drive but there are no errors. I put SystemRescue on a USB and booted into Linux. I've recovered the most important files and I'm attempting to move more to my new NAS. But I'd still like to spare a reformat or a restore. The refurb did not come with a fresh install cd, though I do have a serial.

I don't understand where to retrieve the dump files since Windows won't boot, and my startup menu won't save the "quit auto-restarting" settings, so I can't get the bootlog.

It's a refurbished K52N with (probably if all original)

Phenom Quad-Core 1.6ghz
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    4 gig DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM
    2.5" SATA 320GB 5400rpm/7200rpm
    ATI Mobility™ RadeonĀ® HD4250

Any hints on how I can fix this?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The dumps should be in \Windows\Minidump. It may help if you attach them.

Any history to this, like previous minor problems, updates, new programs installed (that may have installed drivers), etc.?

How did you test the drive?

Were any "tools" used, such as "cleaners", "optimizers", "registry fixers", "driver updaters", or other that may have damaged the system?

3. MelvinMcSnatch

Tested using TestDisk.

The last thing I did was installed a Windows Update and shut it down (Feb 14, 2013 at 3:27 a.m. as the windows update log confirms). I downloaded the Adobe Dreamweaver demo a few days ago, and I had been using that. I push my computer pretty hard with Photoshop consistently. I only had about 12GB free on the OS partition. I try to keep my nose clean as far as my Internet browsing habits are concerned.

I didn't find a minidump log through SystemRescue. Is there something I should be doing to make sure it makes a log?

4. MelvinMcSnatch

I haven't used any other tools so far.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will automatically create a log for a blue screen. Did you find the Minidump folder? The folder should be present even if empty.

Can you boot from your DVD and use System Restore? A restore point will have been created just before the update was installed, so you could try that one.

6. MelvinMcSnatch

I didn't find the minidump folder in the /windows directory.

I don't have any up-to-date restore points. I do have a recover partition, but everything will be wiped out. But I'm pretty close to doing that.

7. MelvinMcSnatch

Thanks for the help anyway. The restore points didn't work and I never found the dump folder, but I got everything important off the computer and I'm downloading the Windows 7 iso. Hopefully this will work.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

C:\windows\minidump

IF your computer is configured to save BSOD data as mini dumps.
    http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

Please copy the 5 most recent files to a folder.
    RIGHT click said folder
    Left click "send to"
    Left click "compressed zip folder"
    Return here
    "Go Advanced"
    "manage attachments"
    browse
    upload
    close window
    submit reply

1 of us will analyze them for you

Some W7 download .iso sites are problematic.

RF123

RF123

9. MelvinMcSnatch

It must have not been set up because there was no folder or file. I downloaded the iso from Microsoft, so I hope that's not the same kind of problematic site. I would call this issue resolved, but I'm going to give it a day or two to make sure it doesn't happen again and configure windows to save the files.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

M McS :
    Thanks for the update.

Please provide the URL. I'd like to learn more.
    RF123

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may have been a hidden folder. I forget about that sometimes because I have nothing hidden. Though that attribute may not make the folder hidden on an OS with a Linux kernel, if you ever face this again, check the attributes.

When you download an iso, a hash is provided. Checking the hash on the file you downloaded will verify whether you got an exact duplicate of the original, or something else (a broken one).

Your original problem is almost certainly a software-related one, so I expect that it will not be a problem if you install a new OS. You may instead look forward to all new problems rather than the old ones. :D

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

I have my computer configured to save BSOD info as mini dumps.

I don't remember if c:\windows\minidump exists if W7 is not set to save BSOD info as mini dumps.

Certainly there would be no minidump entries if W7 was not confgured to save the BSOD info as a mini dump.

Best of success.

Keep us posted.

RF123

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice