1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Page Fault?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Majorgamer, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majorgamer

Majorgamer Thread Starter

I made an honest search before posting this, but still couldn't find anything quite like my problem, so here it goes...

I'm running two WD Raptors (SATA, 10,000rpm) in RAID 0, and recently have been trying to figure out how to format and re-install windows (a massive pile of problems as a result of over a year of no 'maintenance' has damaged my computer beyond a mere defrag and virus scan). I've discovered that either because my HD's are SATA, or because they are striped, that I can no longer format and partition them as I've always done using a Win98 boot disk. The boot disk apparently doesn't recognize them and tells me I have no storage medium. So my first question is: How would I go about completely formatting my HD's for the best, fresh re-install of WinXP?

Secondly, I believe I've managed to format the drives, although I'm not absolutely sure how I pulled it off. I'm not altogether convinced I did it properly, and my current install of WinXP has one serious error; everything installs properly and runs fine, until I install my sound card drivers (which have never given me any grief before, even with my current setup just before my 'format'). My computer doesn't crash the instant I install these drivers, however, as soon as I attempt to run a program, such as ANY video game, PCMark04 or 3DMark05, I get a BSOD which says the following:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: es199x.sys (which just happens to be my sound driver)

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need. (I've checked the site, I have the most current driver)

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFA9F3010, 0x00000000, 0xF3006832, 0x00000000)

*** es199x.sys - Address F3006832 base at F2FF7000, DateStamp 3c040f99

Sorry, I know this is an awfully long post, but I've used this same sound card for years now and I know it works perfectly with my current hardware setup (when everything is properly installed). So if anyone has any tips or has had this exact same problem, please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance, MG.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!