1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Page File HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silvershield, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silvershield

silvershield Thread Starter

I want to know if it is better to buy a seperate harddrive to put the page file on. If so, then about how big of harddrive do I need? I have a 384 MB page file currently, I have it set to let Windows manage it automatically. My question is, will I gain better performance just increasing from 384 MB to about 700 MB?, or will I gain more performace buying a dedicated hard drive only for the page file. any help is appreciated. thanks

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Yes, it would speed up seek times, because windows might be trying to read other data from the HD at the same time it is reading the pagefile (which is just extra memory really). Having it on a separate drive will speed it up, cause windows can read from both at the same time.

As for size, 1.5 times your ram is recommended.

However, after saying all this, you would do better to add more physical ram to the system. 256Mb is low for things these days. You might want to increase it to 512, which would be better than increasing the PF. The more ram, the less windows needs a pagefile. Some people don't even have one.

Scorp.

3. silvershield

So I should upgrade physical memory, then page file size, then hard disk?

4. silvershield

by the way, I have a computer that i dont use, however it has 512 MB DDR SDRAM PC2100 installed... I think SDRAM is backwards compatible, but if i swap the modules from this one from the other one, will both comps still work?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice