1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area Bluescreen (please help!)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by othersteve, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. othersteve

othersteve Thread Starter

Hey guys,

So I thought I had this one solved, but apparently not, as it just happened again to me today. It occurs about once every other day, mostly when I've got a lot of things open at once. I have already run a Memtest86+ on the RAM, as well as hard drive diagnostics, and both passed with no problems. I also updated to the latest BIOS, as well as the newest video driver for my card. I'm completely stumped. I tried analyzing my minidumps, but I'm not very good at that apparently as I really couldn't make heads or tails from the results.

My computer is a Dell Dimension E521:
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    GeForce 7300 LE

I am running Trend Micro Internet Security 2007, office, web browsers, business accounting software (sometimes), Google Desktop w/ sidebar, and that's generally about it. I'm completely at a loss.

Help me, TSG! Thank you in advance.

Steve

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

3. othersteve

Hey Rollin',

Thanks man. I'll be back at work on the computer tomorrow, so I'll definitely do that then.

Steve

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Okeedoke :)

You might as well post a HijackThis scanlog too, while you are at it:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

5. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    Had the same BSOD myself a couple of days back - started in safe mode, did a system restore and all fine again!

Not a pretty sight is it? Yer pucker factor gets up around the nine mark!

6. othersteve

Yeah, I tried system restore and all that a while back... not really sure what's up. Either way, here's the minidumps you asked for.

Also, I have attached a HijackThis log, though I'm sure I'm wasting your time with it, because I actually specialize in computer security and I go through it almost weekly. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Steve

Attached Files:

7. othersteve

Also, FYI:

"ComputerEase" is our accounting software. So although these:

C:\Program Files\LocalComputerEase\mm.exe
    C:\Program Files\LocalComputerEase\mmr.exe
    C:\Program Files\LocalComputerEase\mm.exe
    C:\Program Files\LocalComputerEase\mmr.exe

May look malicious, they're actually not.

Though it is interesting that two different instances were running here. I closed one of them. :p

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The majority of faults look like this:

Although some are occuring in a Trend driver. It's possible something Trend is doing is contributing to this.

All seem to involve browser (Maxon or IE) or google desktop processes.

Afd.sys is a networking (winsock related) driver.

http://www.file.net/process/afd.sys.html
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=afd.sys+site:microsoft.com&btnG=Search

It would be interesting to see if you could get any stops without a network connection.

My gut feeling is there is a memory resource problem caused by some networking activity.

Why don't you try doing some "clean boot" troubleshooting to see if any running startups are involved in this:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

9. othersteve

Rollin',

Thanks again man. I'll start the testing this afternoon and I'll let you know how it goes. This seems to be quite a tricky issue, so if I come to a clear culprit, I will be certain to fill everyone in completely in case others run into the same situation.

Also, FWIW, my feeling regarding the Trend issue was that since it is involved in real-time scanning, it might be blamed by the system when trying to access files in the problematic memory location, but that it probably has very little to do with the actual issue. It seems like you feel the same way about it being something more foundational than that, but I thought I'd offer my hunch anyway. :)

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I would probably start by either uninstalling or disabling Trend completely.

You should be able to complete disable it using the msconfig method.

There were 2 similar to this:

Some of these checks show up times greater than 2 days -- so there could be a memory leak involved.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice