1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dharma812, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dharma812

dharma812 Thread Starter

Recently my computer has been giving me regular blue screen errors. They are usually different but I wrote the following down to post on this website:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    STOP: 0x00000050 (0x83250ff4, 0x00000000, 0x80572433, 0x00000000)

This particular error appeared immediately after taking my system (Windows XP SP2) out of standby. Any idea what this means or if it is some kind of virus. I posted a previous thread (http://forums.techguy.org/t325178.html) that briefly talks about my blue screen errors if that helps anyone. Please Help!!!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you run chkdsk /f on all your drives lately? Disk errors can give you that blue screen and make your machine slower.

A simple thing to try. Run it from the Recovery Console if you can.

3. dharma812

dharma812 Thread Starter

Well I ran chkdsk /f from the recovery console...it said /f is not a command. So I ran chkdsk for the newly installed slave drive and it said one or more unrecoverable problems. At the time I installed the new slave drive is when I started to get the problems. I initially installed it with the incorrect jumper settings. I initially set the new drive with a jumper setting of slave. The computer acted funny but still ran. About a day later I found out that I needed to set the new drive for cable select and so I did it. However, ever since thenj I have been having weird errors like the random blue screens. Also, occasionally when I start-up the computer I get an error message that says my computer has recovered from a serious error and it asks me if I'd like to report to microsoft. After doing that it takes me to the microsoft website where it says Error Caused by a Device Driver...probably after installing new hardware. Any suggestions?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Chkdsk /f is only available from a command prompt. Typing "chkdsk /?" in the Recovery Console gives details on command switches. In the RC, the command for a normal disk check is "chkdsk C: /p" and for a complete check that includes an attempt at recovery of bad sectors, "chkdsk C: /r".

You should probably run the chkdsk with the /r switch on all volumes. Then, run the check again with the /p switch. If you still get the "unrecoverable" message, the volume is too damaged to be repaired and must be repartitioned and reformatted.

5. dharma812

dharma812 Thread Starter

Well it looks like I need to repartition and reformat. What is the best way to go about doing the previously mentioned to my slave drive?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it's only the slave drive that has unrecoverable errors, then move all you want to save to another location.

Right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Right-click the slave volume. Remove the partitions. Right-click and repartition as you want. Format, change drive letters if you want, and off you go.

7. dharma812

dharma812 Thread Starter

Well I did as you said and everything seems to be working smoothly. Thank you for all your help!!!!

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good news. Let's hope it stays that way.

Thanks for following up.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice