pagefile.sys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bhasky

Hello everybuddy,

This is Bhaskar and I am very new to this website, Can anyone help me with the following problem?

I have XP Operating System, FAT32 file system and when ever I load my PC, it will scan the C drive and stops at this particular file called " \pagefile.sys first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.39 percent completed." and nothing happens later :-(

Thanks in Advance and would be very much glad!
Bhasky

valis

do you have the original install cd? that sounds terminal.

Hi,

Can you boot into safe mode?
Boot, hitting F8 as BIOS info goes to black to get the Menu and take Safe Mode.

Your page file has become corrupt, possibly at a bad shut-down. Just before it starts to scan it’ll give you a number of seconds to hit any key to bypass the scan so do that to get into windows. Right click my computer\ Properties \ Advanced. In performance click settings \Advanced. In virtual memory click change. Set to have no page file, exit, shut down the machine and reboot. Delete PAGEFILE.SYS (Usually on the C:\ drive, It’ll be a hidden file so you’ll have to show all files. set the page file back up again in virtual memory and reboot to bring it into use. That should do it.

See attachments for reference

Attachments

valis

good call, lance. What does deleting the pagefile.sys entail? Is it sort of like normal.dot, and will rebuild itself?

bhasky

Yep, Lance you the man! that was the problem excatly and I thank a LOT! for your assistance on this ...

btw, for now the Virtual memory on drive C has "no paging file" and no space dedicated to it, should I need to recreate it back? say intial size about 768 MB and 1536 for the maximum size MB, please let me know...

Thanks again!

If you’re not sure about the size of the page file for your system, it’s always a good idea to let windows handle it for you. Check System Managed Size in your virtual memory and you’ll be OK.

bhasky

Ok, sure ... btw, I see the Recommended size 763, will try to set it and monitor it for few days or else we do as you said :)

Anyways, thanks Lance I appreciate your assistance.

bhasky

Lance

well, I see one more problem with my comp :-( ... now it restarts atleast once in an hour automatically, this was the actually issue before pagefile.sys and even you pointed out that might be due to bad shut-down.

Can you atleast tell me what can trigger the system to restart itself randomly?

-> I check with the restart button and no issues with it.
-> I am not running any kind of application which may effect
-> I don't see any virus as welll.

Thanks for your help!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
At this point, I'd post a HijackThis log. The regular restarts sounds like something is doing that delibertly. If it wasn't installed by you, it's probably malware.

Open System Properties (winkey+pause/break), select Advanced > Startup and recovery.

If there is a check in "automatically restart" take it out. This will produse a blue screen STOP message. Copy the error parameters and driver file, if one is listed (bugcheck)

Attachments

bhasky

Thanks! well, I did uncheck the automatically restrat and restarted the system nothing happens and I don't see this blue screen at all .... sad

any advise

Are you saying the system restarted unexpectedly and still no error? Or you restarted it manually and expected to see one? We would not expect to see a blue screen on a manual restart unless there were a failure at that time.

If you navigate to c:\windows\minidump do you have any minidump logs there?

If you do, put a few of the recent ones in a zip file and upload them as an attachment.

Also run eventvwr.msc and look under the System log.

If you see recent errors there, double click a few, and then use the "copy" icon (double-paper) to copy the description to the clipboard. These can be pasted here or into notepad and posted here.

bhasky

yep, I got the screen and I had to wait for some time :) anyways, thanks for you continued assistance.

here is what I got :

A problem has beem detected and windows has been shut down to prevernt damage to your compu

Driver trol not less or equal

of this is the firrst time you have seen this stop erro screwen restart your comuter. IF this screen apperas again, follor thse steps :

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. IF this is a new installation, ask your hardware or sofrare manufacturer for any windows udpdate you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or soft, Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadoing, if you need to use the safe mode to remove or disable coponents, restart your compute, press F8to select advance startup options, and then selest safe mode and some techinical Infomations

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online