1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

paging file resize causes crash in XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bigwilliex, Jul 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bigwilliex

Bigwilliex Thread Starter

I have a 1.2GHz Duron computer with a ti4800SE 128MB DDR memory, etc. etc. and recently I tried to increase hte size of hte paging file thinking it may be behind why two of my games may not be playing at all. I defragged thinking it may be a problem with how much memory was contiguous or free, etc. but that had no effect. The thing is: I can decrease or remove the paging file, but If I attempt to increase hte size of any of htem (I have 4 partitions and only two have PF's), I can hit set, but as soon as I click "ok" my computer restarts cold, and I can find no reason it did that. if anyone has had similar experiences, pleas ereply or even if you just have a hunch. It's starting to get to me, considering that I now have about 300 MB of virtual memory and am 'recommended' to have 640 minimum. I previously had 1024MB but wanted to allocate more to one specific drive. Guess thsi was a bad idea.

2. McTimson

McTimson

Did you really need 3 different threads about the exact same topic?

I'm not sure what you can do, but makeing 3 seperate threads will just confuse people, and you'l get less help.

3. Bigwilliex

Bigwilliex Thread Starter

uhmm yeah... there was one that I didn't think got posted then was about to repost when I noticed there was another, more appropriate section for it and yeah... I have no idea where the third one came from or is. Anyway, I decided to be reckless the other day and managed to delete all paging files and thus be able to create a single 512MB PF on one of my partitions, and 128MB on anotehr, but no more on any of them or it crashes! it's all very strange, but 640 is about all I am going to get I guess. If anyone has suggestions, please post here or on my other thread.... or my OTHER thread that I did not know existed, but anyway yeah thanx to anyone who decides to help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/145236