1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Paging File

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jtherose, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtherose

jtherose Thread Starter

I was trying to copy a DVD and encountered an error - paging file memory too low. I followed the help menu to adjust virtual memory (I have also been getting periodic "virtual memory low system is adjusting" popups). When I clicked on advanced and adjust virtual memory, there was no drive listed in the drive window and no numbers in the min-max selections.

How do I get the C: drive to populate the "select drive" window ? And where did it go ??!!

Please help !

Thanks,
    JL

I am running XP

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have any services disabled?

Check to see if Shell Hardware Detection and PNP are running.

Does Device Manager work?

Have you "cleaned" the registry lately (Hopefully not. I'm NOT recommending it.)?

3. jtherose

jtherose Thread Starter

El,

I went down hard after posting the issue, ate dinner and did a reboot and of course everything came back normal. By the way, I did recently clean the registry using MaxRegistry after experiencing quirky issues and doing all the spyware , antivirus checks, defrag, yada, yada. It did seem to help up until the "virtual memory" pop ups started happening.

Thanks for your help,
    JL

4. Skydawg

Skydawg

9 out of 10 times when you are getting a VM error, you either need more RAM, or to reload the system. How is your paging file being managed, did you set it or do you let XP do it?

5. jtherose

jtherose Thread Starter

Originally I let the system do it. When I started to get the VM messages I set it myself at the same parameters as my sons computer, although he has more RAM, so I set it proportionally. And it was working OK until I got the error message noted in my original post.

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Run Regedit
    Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    Click on Memory Management

In the right pane, is there a field called "PagingFiles"?
    If so, what is it's value?

And, BTW, it was no doubt the Registry Cleaner that did you in!

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

By "proportionally", do you mean more or less? If the RAM amount is small, you will need a larger page file and not a smaller one, to make up for insufficient RAM.

For larger amounts of RAM, it makes less difference.

8. jtherose

jtherose Thread Starter

Whit,

Yes, Paging Files exist, the value is 766 1432

El,

My son has double the RAM (I have 512) and yes I made the paging file less than his, in fact I set them at the values above, 766, 1432. Should I increase ?

Thank you both,
    JL

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

That ought to be high enough. But if you have a lot of disk space, set the upper limit higher. It may never get used, but will be available.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice