1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pain in my SSD....BIOS problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KaIIen, Apr 28, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Hello all. I am having some issues that I have not been able to figure out... I have an HP Probok 4530's laptop. Decided to upgrade to an SSD. First SSD, I cloned my original HHD and had lots of trouble getting it to work. Someone pointed out since I cloned both drives had the same UUID and so I used Gparted to change UUID of the SSD and it seemed to work ok for a while. Then I started getting
    Code:
    BootDevice Not Found.
    Please install an operating system on your hard disk.
    Hard Disk  - (3fo)
    F2 System Diagnostics
    When this started, I also started to RANDOMLY not be able to access the BIOS (choosing the BIOS sometimes just loads the HP Diagnostics). After the above message started, it began booting into the HP Diagnstics...I have run the "HDD test"...but sometimes it says HDD not found. Then a reboot (or maybe several reboots) then the diagnostic sees the drive and says it passes. I put the on spinning HDD back in an these message don't happen. So I replaced the SSD with another. EXACT. SAME. ISSUE. So now I am thinking it's something in the BIOS. Obviously I have checked the boot order, nothing. I have tried legacy boot and UEFI. Is there a setting that will effect SSD's that I am missing?

Info that may matter:
    HP ProBook 4530's
    8 GB RAM
    Dual boot Ubuntu (Linux) and Windows 10.
    SSD is Samsung EVO

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am not familiar with the laptop
    However I do not need to be to assist you

Is the previously existing HDD - SATA connected and is the new SSD connected to the same SATA as the HDD was
    OR is the laptop the kind that has one SATA for the HDD and another SATA connection for another drive

which clone software did you use

3. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Mac This drive is plugged into the same HDD slot in the laptop as the original drive, same connection.
    I used Gparted to clone. So to rule that out with the second SSD i set up my partitions first. I cloned the windows partition data but not the disk itself. Then performed a fresh install of Ubuntu. Cloned disk or setup as new disk result in the error.

4. Macboatmaster

5. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. If I close thenorigknal disk I will try that. In this case though the second SSD was set up as a new drive and once I installed Ubuntu it should have loaded the GRUB boot loader. And why can I not access the BIOS sometimes?

6. Macboatmaster

BIOS access problem
    Remove the battery and the AC adapter, press power button 1 minute to reset capacitors.
    Next step power the unit only with AC adapter and press Esc in boot and then choose F10 option.

As to why it did not load Grub, boot loader I have no idea, but I suspect it was again the clone of the windows partition

Boot from Ubuntu installation media - USB I presume and run Boot repair

However I cannot understand why you do not simply clone the original HDD to the SSD using either TODO I have used it many times and it has NEVER failed
    https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/clone-dual-boot-drive-to-ssd.html
    OR depending on the user guide the SSD migration tool

GParted as far as I know cannot clone an entire disk, I thought it could only clone partitions
    and I am not even certain that it sees the boot partition for Windows 1o

The error message on your original post simply means that the HP could not find the boot device . Although this does not actually list your laptop the principle is the same
    https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06201699

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  7. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I actually had already tried Boot Repair with no change but I ran it again tonight with same results. I also reinstalled Ubuntu (takes what? 10 minutes?) still no change.
    This is my fault, but I didn't fully read the text that popped up for about a second prior to the boot device not found screen...it's the Intel copyright and patent info. At the bottom it says the following:

Code:
    Realtek PCIe GBE Controller Series v2.36 (07/29/10)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    I Googled but found nothing terribly helpful. The drive is seated properly. I have tried switching between UEFI and Legacy (my system has always been on Legacy).

To answer your question about why I don't clone the original disk. I like clean installing OS's...when I was younger I used to wipe and reinstall Windows about every year or so. It was amazing what a difference it made. My current Windows 10 was the free upgrade from Windows 7, so it's been around as long as I have had this laptop. I rarely use Windows, but it's still cluttered. I already tried to the do the reinstall from within windows but it fails. It started have BSOD issues when I did need to use it. Ubuntu is so easy and fast to reinstall, it's really not a big deal to do so, so why not? lol I have swapped a LOT of hard drives in my life but never had this much problem.

Thanks again for your time and help with this!!

8. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Good luck with it

The message simply means that after it could not find the boot device, it expected it tried the available boot options and one of those was Network boot - via LAN cable

If the OS is installed MBR and NOT UEFI with GPT there is absolutely no point in switching from Legacy to UEFI in BIOS
    A legacy installed OS will not boot in UEFI mode.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    C.Rumsey likes this.
  9. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing that up. As for the UEFI/Legacy that's what I figured but I wanted to be sure I don't leave anything untried....
    Unless you have another thought I will wipe the drive again and start over tonight...I have already tried that multiple times as well.

10. Macboatmaster

Clone it with Easeus
    I am reasonably certain you will not have a problem

11. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I have never had so much trouble installing a new drive.

So I wiped the drive completly and boote to a W10 USB. Get to the point where it wants to know what drive to install to and it gave me a GPT error. After some googling the solution was to enable UEFI. Once I did that I got an error about no being able to install to the disk because the hardware may not support booting from the disk and to enable the controller. More googling suggested disabling security in the BIOS. The only thing i found some HP Drive Lock and something else about finding the laptop it lost. Disabled these and got the GPT error again. Disable UEFI then W10 installer had no issues. Installed to the second partition (created a small system partition at the start of the disk). I rebooted a few times and had no problem. So then installed Ubuntu. Reboot, no boot disk found. Ran boot-repair and rebooted same thing. I don't believe this has to do with Ubuntu tho because, when I go to boot device options to select my USB, the HDD is not listed as a bootable device. But the next time, it is listed...

12. Macboatmaster

You cannot install in UEFI mode to a drive that is formatted MBR. However if necessary you can use Diskpart to completely clean the drive and then Windows 10 will install in whatever mode you have set the firmware to install in.
    That of course is providing you are using the Windows 10 Microsoft provided _ media creation tool to make the USB

IF you use a third party tool such as RUFUS you must of course make the correct settings

The later mentioned deletion of all partitions - in itself prepares the drive for the installation of 10

The disabling security in BIOS you refer to is turning off secure boot.

You do NOT create any partitions you install to the complete drive - having deleted all partitions.

The necessary partitions are created automatically by the installation media - you then install windows 10 to the primary partition

When that is done you shrink that partition so that free space is behind it eg to the right of it in disk management and you then install Ubuntu IN THE SAME mode as Windows 10 eg MBR - legacy BIOS or UEFI when the Windows 10 will have portioned the drive GPT

I cannot understand why you have changed your plan without trying the Easeus TODO clone which as I said I have used many times

See this for Ubuntu
    https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/

and this for Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

13. DarkLight1

DarkLight1

First Name:
    Jim
    Last year I 'had' (my blind girlfriend's elbow knocked a cup of coffee over it) a lovely Toshiba satellite laptop and bought a USB to IDE Sata connector and made a clone of the HHD to SSD, I'm pretty sure I used Easeus and it worked perfect. What is strange is I then bought a HP Pavillion and just removed the HHD and stuck in the Toshiba's SSD and it worked. Windows 10.

14. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool on my Windows PC at work.
    The security settings options I have in my BIOS are not called SecureBoot. I have Drive lock and AnitTheft options...

I didn't create any partitions then install. I did delete the partitions prior to booting the W10 USB and during install set the partition size I wanted. My comment about second partition was just saying that the partition table that was created put the W10 partition as the second on the disk with a small system partition at the start.

I didn't change anything...I did PRIOR to W10 install based on the error message and Google results...that is I enabled UEFI. But I ended up disabling UEFI before W10 installed...

I only reason I initially cloned the disk was because I didn't intend to reinstall W10. But changed my mind as I said because it was starting to have stability issues the very rare times I used it and decided to do a clean install. I always planned on doing a clean install of Ubuntu.
    I have been installing some Linux variant along side Windows for about 12 years now, and swapping HDD's multiple times and either cloning or just fresh installs. Once in a rare while I needed to repair GRUB afterwords but not often. I am at a loss this time. And as I mentioned, the SSD is sometime visible and sometimes not as a boot device. As it is right now I have successfully installed a clean copy of Windows 10, and was able to reboot without error multiple times. I also have successfully installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Now when I boot I get the no boot device message, and the system may or may not see the SSD....

Thanks for your help and explanations.

15. DarkLight1

DarkLight1

First Name:
    Jim
    From my limited experience, when you have tried to fix a computer problem and none of the obvious solutions work it means only one thing the problem is with the RAM ;). Actually, another good tip is take the battery out of the BIOS and it will boot with factory settings.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice