1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Painfully slow access to NAS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by colinsp, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colinsp

colinsp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Colin
    After my old PC died I decided to build a new one.

Asus M4A88TD-V evo motherboard with 8 gig ram AMD quad core and a new 1TB hDD. There is a Realtek8111E Gigabit lan onboard.

I installed this with a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. It works fine and accesses the internet without issue. I have installed the latest LAN drivers from the Asus site. I have a wired connections to my router for this desktop a NAS drive and my laptop and also a wireless connection to my wife's laptop.

The laptops have fast access to the NAS drive, the Win7 machine is painfully slow. Every time I access a share on the NAS drive it takes ages to show and always has the dark grey progress bar running as I try to access the drive, and it takes a long while to read the drive. I tried to copy a 350meg file from the NAS to the desktop and gave up after an hour with 19 hours still to go according to the progress bar:confused:, copying the same file to either laptop only took a couple of minutes. I have changed the cable without it speeding anything up, I also changed the router port. My old Win7 desktop used the same port on the router and the same cable and always had fast access.

Anybody have any bright ideas before this expensive new machine gets thrown out ;)

2. colinsp

colinsp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Colin
    What makes this even more interesting is that I have just plugged in a wireless USB dongle in and connected at full speed to the network. It must be some sort of problem with the network settings for the onboard card although I don't know what.

Any suggestions?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe the NIC is having trouble auto-syncing a speed with the router. In Device Manager right click the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab. Try different values for the 'Speed & Duplex' property. Start with 1000 Mbps full duplex (only if the router has gigabit ports), 100 Mbps full duplex and 10 Mbps full duplex.

4. colinsp

colinsp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Colin
    Thanks TerryNet for the suggestion. The router is only 100meg full duplex BUT when I set the card to 100 it won't connect. It will only connect at 10meg so it looks like at 100meg it is doing something the router doesn't like. It will only connect at 10 meg but is not giving me anything like that sort of speed.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Or the router is doing something the NIC doesn't like.

Try the computer with a connection to the modem or to somebody else's router to try to determine if the problem is owned by the NIC alone.

6. colinsp

colinsp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Colin
    I got my spare router out and tried that and went and bought a brand new ethernet cable. Still the same, only sets the port to 10meg and achieves nothing like that in speed.

I have also done a Google search this seems to be a Windows 7 issue that seems to affect all sorts of NIC's and no one can find a fix for it.

Oh well looks like I will just have to live with it and check Google regularly for a fix.

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I also have a lot of issues with the NIC (most of them Realtek chipsets) and Windows 7 but get most of them to settle down with the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

8. colinsp

colinsp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Colin
    I have tried both the Asus and the Realtek drivers without success.

9. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You probably have a faulty NIC then, got a 1xPCIe or PCI slot available for an addon?

10. colinsp

colinsp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Colin
    I think I would agree with you if 1: It wasn't a new motherboard 2: I was the only one with the problem and 3: If it wasn't working at all. I'll keep looking.

11. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

If your NAS is FTP capable, you could try using Filezilla and see if a transfer went good that way. It would probably be too cumbersome to use as an everyday exchange method, but maybe that would tell you if its a protocol issue or maybe hardware?

I understand about the new motherboard, I was thinking of the time/cost benefit ratio of tearing it all apart again and RMAing. Also understood about something working with one exception. I've got a N router, works fantastic, except the wireless just shuts down at some point and won't come on until I go back in and either toggle the setting (and I"ve tried all the different combo of settings to get it to stay on) or power cycle. Very frustrating.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice