1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Painfully Slow FTP Access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ElDuderino, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElDuderino

ElDuderino Thread Starter

Hello
    I have a 1Tb NAS installed at home. It has an FTP facility. I have recently moved from Virgin Media's 20Mb broadband to the 50Mb broadband, so I have a new router and modem. The Router is a D-Link DIR-615.

I am able to connect to my NAS via FTP from work (which has an industrial ultra high speed internet(95Mbps d/l and 65Mbps Upload on a speed check), but when I try and download stuff, my download rate is less than 10kbps. (ETA for a 700Mb file is 28 hours!)

What gives? Surely with a 50Mb connection at one end and a fast connection at the other I should be getting a reasonable download rate?

I'm wishing I didn't chuck my old Netgear router out as I had no problems with that.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Could Virgin be throttling your connection because they don't really want you to run FTP servers? Have you tried configuring something like FileZilla server on your computer and connecting to that from work? This will eliminate the NAS as the issue? Did you try to FTP locally from the NAS to a computer on the same router to see if FTP works normally that way?

What's the make and model of the NAS?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice