1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Painfully Slow Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by daxrod, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

I have an old laptop, a Presario 600, that is running very slow. Slow loading, slow opening icons, and just a general sluggish nature. I've run Ccleaner, Malware, Superantispy, Defragged it, Disk Cleanup, and the thing is still slow. I've also uninstalled unnecessary programs, and stopped the Start up processes i don't need. This computer is still about to be thrown out the window! Any other ideas what I can do to save this old dinosaur??? Thank you.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Is it just as slow in Safemode?

How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
    5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode..

Also if the fan running all the time or just sometimes?

3. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

I'm gonna run in safe mode now, but before I go, no, the fan does not run all the time...only sometimes.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Understood......let us know the results in Safemode

Does it feel hot where the fan is?

5. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

Alright. It runs perfect when in Safe Mode and yes, it does feel hot underneath. If its a new fan I need, let me know if I can tackle the task myself and where I could find a fan. But let me stop assuming...

6. Megabite

Megabite

The fan sounds like it is working ok...but the heat sink maybe be clogged with dust...which would overheat the CPU and slow it down.

Got anything to blow it out with.

also you could try and install any video card updates from or any other updates from here
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/ca/en/support.html

How much memory does it have?

7. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

I can get one of those duster spray things to blow it out, but where exactly is the heat sink, and do i have to open the computer to access it? I'll go to those links while I wait for your reply.

8. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

...oh, it has 239MBs of RAM. Not enough, huh? Is it just as easy to install RAM on a laptop than it is on a desktop? I've done it to my desktop, but never opened this old baby up before.

9. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

Also, this is a Compaq Presario and the link you sent me is for the HP website???

10. Megabite

Megabite

HP I think has taken over Compag awhile ago.

I would try more memory first....it might be under a small plate held by 4 screws on the bottom

11. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

How much memory does that laptop hold and do you have any suggestions where I can find a good deal?

12. Jozar

Jozar

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice