1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Paint cannot read this file, this is not a valid bitmap file

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by DandyDanaDee, Dec 7, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. DandyDanaDee

DandyDanaDee Thread Starter

Hello, can you please help me, I'm panicking I've been searching & searching for hour's now and I can't find a solution, just yesterday I was working on a picture in "MSP" and then later today I decided I was going to do some more work on it and now it won't let me do anything with it, I'm unable to view it in photo's & I'm unable to open it as well without it saying C:\Users\****\Pictures\017 (3).jpg Paint cannot read this file. this is not valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported ? I really need this picture to be restored : (

2. Sponsor

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Not sure why Paint would be telling you that a jpg is not a jpg
    Would you want to attach the picture here ???
    We can try more than Paint ... I can try Irfanview or Photoshop and others.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

I think the OS is Windows 10 is that correct
    If so after editing a file in Paint and changing the resolution it is often found that paint will not open the file
    The solution is either to copy the file to a flash pen drive and then open it on a computer running Windows 7 or 8.1
    OR alternatively copy the file
    On the original right click and click restore previous versions if there is an original version saved in a restore point or backup this may also work

OR if it will not open with another app such as Photo Viewer on 10 you may try this

I was continuing to mention IrfanView but I sat that my colleague had posted as above

So if you do have to use IrfanView
    http://www.irfanview.com/

Make a copy of the file and delete the file extension (the dot and letters after the dot).

Open IrfanView, then drag and drop the file onto the open IrfanView window.

IrfanView will attempt to determine the file type and open it.

If it does open in IrfanView, use File > Save as - and then save it in the format you want.

WORTH A TRY is this BEFORE you go to the trouble of install IrfanView or trying on another OS - In File explorer. with the pictures open click the drop arrow on the icon to the right of the toolbar - on the Change your View - select extra large icons
    You may just find that you can then open it from there with Photo Viewer

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  5. DandyDanaDee

Hello, Thank You for responding to my message, I'm sorry but it won't allow me too upload the file for you ?

6. DandyDanaDee

When I try to upload the file too you a message appear's saying, The following error occurred, The uploaded file was not an image as expected.

7. Macboatmaster

Have you tried either of my suggestions

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Zip it and attach (upload) the zip

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. DandyDanaDee

I can't zip it, because you have to pay for it

10. Macboatmaster

I posted two possible resolutions and explained the cause of the problem in post 3
    I then asked

11. DandyDanaDee

Hello, I down loaded IrfanView, But I don't know what to do from there ?

12. plodr

plodr

Did you install IrfanView? If so, right click the jpg, that isn't a bitmap and select Open With. If IrfanView is not one of the choices, explore until you locate IrfanView.exe and select that to open it.

For the future, you NEVER work on an original photo! You archive the original either by burning to a disk or store it on a USB stick or drive. You copy the original to the computer and do all the editing on the copy. If something goes wrong, you get rid of that and copy the original to the computer and try again.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

If you still can't use the file with it's filename ending in (3) there may be earlier versions ending in (2) and (1), and with no brackets containing a number, in the Pictures folder.

14. DandyDanaDee

It won't work, is there some way I can chat with someone in real time that can guild me through step by step, I don't mean to frustrate you I have a learning disability, so I have a difficult time understanding thing's even very simple thing's.

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Right Click on the file and choose .... Send to >> Compressed (zipped) folder.
    Any file put into a zipped folder will be zipped ...
    And any file removed from a zipped folder be be unzipped.

Attached Files:

• 111.gif
      111.gif
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
  16. DandyDanaDee

Thank You, Here's the file.

Attached Files:

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200716