1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Palm pilot and modem - checking hotmail...

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by computer-aces, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer-aces

computer-aces Thread Starter

My mom wants to get something to check his email when they take trips out of town. They usually go to coffee houses with internet connections. He uses hotmail as his email. Has anyone ever used a palm pilot to check hotmail? Is it possible? What about a Palm m125 for under $200 and the PalmModem connectivity kit (which is basically a 56K modem)? Can you get to "normal" websites with this? It says you can check email on it, but I'm thinking just a pop3 mail account - which hotmail is not. Is there any other way this can be done? They use a cable modem, so they'd have to pay like $10 a month for a "normal" phone line ISP like BellSouth.net or something. Also, what about the Palm VIIx? Anyone ever use this for the internet? Could he use this to get his hotmail email?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cory

2. computer-aces

Anyone???

Please hurry - Christmas is coming soon and I need to order something for my dad.

Thanks,

Cory

3. plejon

plejon

I have a Palm V, which has built in e-mail support. You do need a modem of course, and a dial in account. I never tried it, so can't advise you on the practical issues.

I know the palm also has a browser. Don't expect miracles, the screen is too small to view most websites comfortably. Also, graphics-intensive websites would probably be a disaster

4. computer-aces

Thanks for the reply. That's sort of what I thought. We'll just hold out on the email and web browsing this Christmas. Hopefully by next year there'll be something better.

Thanks,

Cory

5. plejon

plejon

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice