1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

panasonic toughbook help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jep04926, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

i am trying to install an os on a toughbook with a backpack....the system boots but then goes to a screen indicating to install a boot floppy & press f1, if a do this my drivers are not present for the backpack so i get an "a" prompt, i try to install the drivers but it isnt showing the hd????? i'm lost .......i cant find a "detect a hd mode anywhere ..can anybody help

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there jep04926...

Has the HD been partitioned and formatted ?

And...

Do you have the DOS drivers for the backpack ?

3. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

i have the drivers for the backpack but when i go to install them the the program is only showing floppy a & b as the drives to install to?......... the hd was suppose to be formated to a "c" prompt but i have yet to see a "c" prompt , the only options i am getting are f1 to go to set up or this screen with the moving arrow indicating to install a floppy but when i do this i end up @ an "a" prompt and when i try to change the prompt it says invalid drive? and then it will go back to try to read "a"

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

HMMM...

That is a odd one...does the boot diskette have Fdisk on it ?

If so try typing in fdisk at the A:\> prompt and see if it will see the HD...

5. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

yes it sees it & is asking me if i want to enable large disk support y or no? what do i do?

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Answer yes... and after you get to the menu press option 4 to show the disk information this will show if the disk has a DOS partition on it...

7. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

it reads current disc drives 1........no partitions defined, what do i do now?

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...just as I suspected...

Press the "ESC" key to get back to the main menu, choose option 1 to create a DOS partition, it should automatically set the maximum size of the HD ( if not post the size of the HD ), then press enter and answer yes to the prompts, after the HD has been partitioned reboot with the boot diskette still in the drive and at the A:\> prompt type in format c: /s choose yes to the next message, then after the format reboot without the diskette and see if you get a C"\> prompt, then try installing the drivers...

9. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

when reboot & get to the "a" prompt and type format c:/s
    hit enter it says bad command or file name? what now?

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

HMMMM...

At the A:\> prompt type in dir format.* if you get an error "File not found" you will have to go to a pc with W98 installed and copy the file "format.com" ( it should be under the folder C:\Windows\command ) to the boot diskette and try again, if the file shows up try adding a space between c: and /s

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice