1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Panasonic toughbook model CF-27

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jeepguy181, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeepguy181

jeepguy181 Thread Starter

I'm working on a Panasonic toughbook CF-27 with xp sp3, 256 ram, no wireless card or usb. I had this laptop for over 10 years and had it in storage for the past 8 due to computer problems but want to put it back in use again. My question is am I able to upgrade the memory anymore? find a wireless card(if I'm able to what information do i need to find one)? and how do I go about getting usb ports for it if I'm able too?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Does that have a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot?

3. jeepguy181

Sorry I have a brain fart. What's the card bus slot? I did how ever found a USB slot in the back. Forgot all about it since it's been atleast three years since I touched it. But I'm stilling for a way to find memory and wireless antenna. Unless that's what your referring too

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Never mind, it doesn't have one.!!

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The above are the specs you have listed for that laptop.

You appear to have the CF-27Mk3 model - which comes with an Intel Pentium II 333 MHz processor and supports a maximum of 256 MB of RAM.

http://toughbook.wikispaces.com/CF-27

If I remember correctly, that processor was introduced in late 1997 or early 1998.

That laptop's processor type and speed and maximum supported amount of RAM is not capable of running Windows XP.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Even if there are xp drivers for that model its going to run very slowly if at all. since you cant add more ram you are limited in what operating system to use. however you might see if you can find a windows 2000 disk and hope theres windows 2000 drivers listed for that model.otherwise it might be time to retire that computer since not much more can be done to upgrade it as far as ram etc.

7. jeepguy181

It does boot up and everything appears to be fine. It's just a touch slow. It originally came with windows nt which I heard was really bad. But since u said I'm limited on upgrades what are my chances of finding out about a wireless card for inteenet for it? How did you find out what model number exactly is it? And sorry to say I love this computer being first one I bought but other than that I don't know why else. I guess I just want a spare.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A couple of years ago, I used an old HP Pavilion desktop with an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz processor and 384 MB of RAM to run Windows XP for testing purposes.

Needless to say, it ran like a turtle.

The system requirements for Windows XP were a lot less in 2001 than they are in 2014.

Computing functions and programs and hardware have gotten a lot more system-hungry.

----------------------------------------------------------

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If that laptop has a spare USB port, an external USB wireless adapter would be a better option than using an internal card-type one.

When I bought my first HP laptop in late 2001 (right after Windows XP was released), laptops hadn't yet come with a built-in internal wireless adapter.

Card-type wireless adapters were the norm and USB wireless adapters hadn't yet become popular.

--------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice