1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Panther - Peer Networking

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by NitroNic, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NitroNic

NitroNic Thread Starter

We have networked 3 apples running Panther. They are simply peers connected by a hub.

I've set them up in such a way that allows, for example, computer 1 to click "Network" in the finder, and see computer 2 and computer 3 listed. Upon double clicking one of these 2 comptuer names, they are prompted to log in, and choose a volume to mount. This works fine. However, I've noticed that the only director that remote file access is allowed to is the home folder of the username which was used to log in.

Let me clarify... First off, all 3 computers have local non-administrative accounts of the same name and password... (student is the username and password). When a user on computer 1 clicks computer 2 in the finder, they are promted to log-in, and enter student for the username and password, and then are prompted to choose a volume to mount. They choose "student". But the ONLY directory (as far as I can tell) on Computer 2 that can be remotely accessed from computer 1 is the home folder of the "student" account.

What I NEED to be able to access remotely are extrnal firewire hard drives (Lacie), but I can't figure out any way to "share" them. I really don't care how this is done whether it be FTP or what have you, just as long as simple shorcuts or aliases can be set up to allow less technically inclined users to be able to simply click on an icon and authenticate.

ANy ideas?

Thanks once again for reading one of my novels.

Nic

2. natcom

natcom

3. NitroNic

NitroNic Thread Starter

natcom, I tried this, and it works in general, but only on directories on the Macintosh HD. I tried to share an external lacie hard drive, too. According to the Disk Utility app, the mount point for this external drive is /Volumes/LACIE. If I use this as value for the directory_path property, it doesn't work. If I change that value to something else, such as /Users/Shared/test, for example, it will indeed work.

So I'm thinking that either /Volumes/LACIE is not the true mount point, or file sharing on an external hard drive through this method is just not supported.

Can anyone offer some insight on this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice