1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Paragon Partition Manager problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mastern200, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mastern200

mastern200 Thread Starter

I am trying to create another partition so i can triple boot windows xp, vista, and ubuntu. Problem is, no matter what software i use, it doesnt let me make one. In paragon, it says "A new partition cannot be created on this hard disk. Most probably, all primary slots are occupied and there is no extended partition". I know i have enough room, and i did this before, so i dont know what is wrong

2. Sponsor

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I suggest you run a disk check. I believe the way is Start>Run>dskchk. You may have to shut down and reboot so that the test has full use of your system at start-up.

Another, and free, partitioning utility is "G Parted," and it has been recommended here at TSG a number of times.

{redoak}

4. mastern200

i tried both your suggestions and it didnt work. thanks though. anybody else?

5. vinaur

vinaur

You might have enough space, but if you have created four primary partitions already, you will have to delete one of them and make it into an extended partition. You are only allowed 4 primary partitions per hard disk. What's your current setup as far as partitions go? But yeah, GParted (LiveCD especially) is a really nice tool.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

How were the original partitions created? If you had Vista first, Vista uses a new configuration for partitions that may not be recognized by some partitioners.

Did you try creating the partition in the unallocated space with Disk Management in Vista? How much space is unused at this point?

7. mastern200

Oh ok i didnt know that. It has 4 parts: Windows XP, windows vista, a dell utility part, and a 0xDB Digital Research CP/M. The last 2, i assume, was there when i bought the dell. how would you do a extended partition with Gparted?

The only partition that i myself created was the Vista one. i tried this on both XP and vista though. yes i did. same issue. doesnt even give an option for new or extended partition

8. vinaur

vinaur

Here's the thing about the 4 partition limit. You are only allowed 4 primary partitions on the disk. An extended partition counts as a primary, but once you create it, it will allow you to create a lot more logical (virtual, or "fake" partitions, though they are not really fake) partitions inside it. A partition can only be created in contiguous space. So assuming that the four partitions mentioned are in fact all primary, you would have to get rid of one completely (data on that partition will be lost) and create an extended partition instead. Then create logical partitions inside the extended one. BTW, only one extended partition allowed per disk. If you have free unallocated space on the disk, you should probably get rid of a primary partition next to it, so you can utilize that free space when making the extended partition.

Now if you happen to discover that there already is an extended partition on your hard drive, you may be able to create more partitions (and utilize the unallocated free space if available) without losing any data. If that is the case, post back, with a more detailed structure of your hdd.

You can find all the details about the partitions on your hard drive using GParted LiveCD. Just pop it in, boot from cd, and it should do the rest to get you to the main screen.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have any free space right now for creating the partition?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/621897