1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Parallel port not working" Re-open: Must manually change LPT port after each reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NeuDude, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeuDude

NeuDude Thread Starter

I originall posted a topic in SevenForums the other day, though I recently found a closed thread here with a problem that sounds very similar to the one I am having; however the one response it got was very dissatisfying to my disappointment.

The thread I found on here stated the following:

The reply to which was:

Now, as much as I agree with this statement, under certain circumstances people are unable to purchase a newer printer or have had problems with adapters. My circumstance is both. My boss does not wish to have to purchase another printer and we used to use an adapter, but the adapter caused a lot of anomalies when printing through it and was actually fried via lightning recently. We ended up installing a PCI Express Parallel card due to the loss of our Parallel-to-USB.

So I wish to reopen this issue, so to speak, in an attempt to find a solution for my current circumstance.

My explanation of my problem when I posted in SevenForums was the following:

Now, I am very tech savvy and this problem I am having seems like it should have a fairly simple answer, possibly involving IRQ conflicts or some other software issue that can be resolved fairly easily for me, though as much as I have tried I cannot find the answer on my own.

Also, I am new to this particular forum, and I do stress that I would greatly appreciate only positive input or questions on my situation. Please DO NOT inform me about Parallel being obsolete as i do agree with you, though as I said before I cannot simply purchase a new printer or another adapter.

2. NeuDude

NeuDude Thread Starter

*bump*

3. NeuDude

NeuDude Thread Starter

*bump*

4. NeuDude

NeuDude Thread Starter

*bump*

5. NeuDude

NeuDude Thread Starter

On SevenForums I recieved a reply from someone going by the name pscowboy stating this:

I checked all of what pscowboy suggested and it was all in place without further altering of hardware or settings.

Somehow, it seems the problem has resolved itself or I somehow accidentally fixed it when switching the port settings. The printer no longer goes "Offline" when the computer is rebooted and the printer appears to no longer need to be left on 24/7 for it to stay "Ready".

The only thing I can theorize is that it's because I put it on LPT3 rather than 1 or 2, and that since 1 and 2 have defaulted IRQ numbers that something else was trying to share one or both of those numbers; however, I am pretty sure I had it set to LPT3 another time and still had the problem occur, though I could be mistaken I suppose.

In any case, the problem has been resolved for the moment.

I do wish I knew exactly what the problem was if my theory is incorrect. That being the case I will leave this thread open for any future discussion on this problem and perhaps what has been posted here and any future posts later on will help other individuals with the same issues.

On a final note on the matter, I am a tad surprised and disappointed that I had no feedback from this forum on the issue. Due to this I am unsure if I will use this forum much in the future, if at all. On other forums I had at least one reply either asking for more info or actually suggesting fixes and settings changes.

I do hope that my problem was not ignored simply because the tech I am asking about is "out of date". I stress I am not accusing all of you for purposely ignoring me because I imagine some of you simply did not know what to suggest or ask, but I do hope that if I post on this forum again I can get some feedback and not be overlooked.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058626